1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

multiboot bootmanager

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by qweasdzxc, Jul 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. qweasdzxc

qweasdzxc Thread Starter

I installed osl2000, good compact fast ...I like it and I want to use it, but...

If I boot the first prim part on HD1,using OSL2000 of course, I get to the ntloader (boot.ini) and can boot all the different OS that were installed before I installed OSL2000.
    But if I boot the 2nd prim part (using OSL) it does not boot up my win xp on that partition, same for the 2nd and 3th part on HD2. I do not run Linux.

How do make OSL2000 see all my winxp which are installed in primary partitions? It should see it right from the start,right?
    I does load my 98 on HD2 though!

HD1 pri1 xp (boot.ini files etc placed here)
    pri2 xp for internet
    ext
    HD2 pri1 98
    pri2 xp games
    pri3 testing os
    ext

Thanks for your help

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

You've sort of answered your own question. The problem is that the Boot.ini and start up files for the 'other' XP systems are all on the first primary partition. In order to use a third party boot manager effectively each OS has to be totally independant, with its own boot.ini etc.
    So you have to arrange for this to happen - and it is not a trivial task, but also not all that difficult.
    Do you have a Partition Magic as that will ease the task considerably (create bootable floppies). What you need to do is 'hide' all but one of the XP partitions (and hide the 98) , go into the recovery console for the partition and do a FIXBOOT which will create a boot ini etc for the current partition on its own since that is the only visible OS.
    You should also do it for the original primary one, deleting the original boot.ini first.
    Don't forget the Boot ini file is hidden so you will need to do an ATTRIB etc to unhide it.

3. qweasdzxc

qweasdzxc Thread Starter

Yes yes... each os needs its own ntloader !
    Could I just hide the first pri part, rewrite a boot.ini file and copy the systems files to part2? After that unhiding pri1 so all part are visible again?
    In other words what would be the difference with fixboot?
    What files would the fixmbr command delete? It would delete the OSL bootloader but not the boot.ini ntloader right?

4. DaveBurnett

Once you have one correct you SHOULD be able to copy the files as you suggest(I think), but you must have ONLY one bootable partition visible - the one you are working on whilst you do the first one. If any other is still visible it will attempt to build a mutiboot menu again.
    I didn't mention FIXMBR as it would, again as you say, remove the OSL bootloader.

5. qweasdzxc

qweasdzxc Thread Starter

A fixboot of pri2 hd1 (recov console) while hiding all partitions (pqmagic) except pri2 hd1 did not work. Maybe I did something wrong.
    What does a fixboot do exactly?

SO I did a normal boot into winxp (pri1 hd1) while leaving all partitions visible, copied the system files too each partition which has a windows on it installed (editing boot.ini so it can boot from its own partition) and all booted up fine trough osl2000 except pri3 hd2. The nt loader can still be used if I wanted to.
    THere is a problem with pri3 hd2, it does not boot, hal.dll missing...

Quote:"but you must have ONLY one bootable partition visible - the one you are working on whilst you do the first one. If any other is still visible it will attempt to build a mutiboot menu again."

This is a little confusing:
    2 questions here:

#Can you give me an example using pri1...please? F ex all hidden except pri2,
    run recov console , then which windows do I logon to? Will it see other windows to logon to after hiding all pri part except one?
    What command d I type exactly d:\fixboot with d: being???
    (I still like to know even though I can boot all part from hd1)

#What's wrong with windows attempting to build a multiboot menu, I could just choose one default OS to boot or edit the boot.ini later?

About fixmbr, I was just curious what the difference is with fixboot.
    Another questions, does windows recov console still see partitions made invisible with osl2000 (hidden)?

Really appreciate your help here.

6. DaveBurnett

Scans all partitions and builds a boot.ini. It also should correct the system files and the partition boot sector.
    If you leave them all visible it will just build the menu on the first one again. (and had the 98 been on the first disk it would put it all there).
    If the 'other' partitions are 'hidden' I think recovery console will only see the one not hidden. Fixboot, as I said, will scan all visible partitions and put the menu on the first 'visible' bootable one

FixMBR rewrites the Master Boot Record of the Disk and will wipe out the Boot loader and point directly to the first bootable partition.
    Fixboot does as described above.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/380863

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice