1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multiboot Partitioning

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by seekermeister, Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seekermeister

seekermeister Thread Starter

I've run into a snag that I'm not quite certain of the solution, because it involves 2 different OSs. For whatever reason, XP x64 would not allow me to format any of the partitions as FAT32. I understand that x64's OS needs NTFS. but the reason that I want to use FAT on the other partitions, is because I want them to be accessible to SuSe. Therefore, I set the partitions with x64, but did not allow it to format them. When I rebooted into SuSe and used the partitioner, initially it saw the partitions as FAT16. But I reset that to FAT32 and formatted. This seemed to work, but when I ran a defrag earlier, it said that the cluster size was 16kbs, which is 4 times larger than the NTFS partitions. Assuming that this was due to the procedure that I described above, I started looking for a way to change this to something more normal, but so far, no joy.

I also had a blue screen crash, which rebooted the computer, which oddly produced a screen during bootup, which said that there was an inconsistency on one of these partitions, and wanted to check it. Since that partition contains only an archive, and no OS, I'm guessing that the cluster size is the problem. Therefore, my question is twofold, how do I fix the cluster size? And if that is not possible, how do I cause x64 to format it as FAT32? I have both OSs (x64 & SuSe 10.0) installed prior to these partitions...could it be that the Linux installation at that location is the problem?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/476990

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice