1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

multiboot question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by brokenhead, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brokenhead

brokenhead Thread Starter

Is it possible to install Windows Server 2003 on a partition of a machine that already has Win XP Pro on it? I'm trying to install an evaluation copy of Server 2003 on my home PC. The files get copied to the partition successfully, then the install program reboots, but then my XP Pro comes up. The install doesn't seem to be writing anything to boot.ini, which an install of other Windows platforms does, so that the install would automatically resume. Anyone have any ideas, please? How do I get back to the install?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It seems like it should work the way you are doing it, but since it isn't, you could try adding the entry to the boot.ini manually so you have a choice on boot.

Can you explain how your machine is partitioned and how the disks are set up? Also, where are you installing 2k3? Is the partition a primary partition?

3. brokenhead

Thanks for responding so fast!!
    My setup is as follows:
    RAID 0 with 2 160GB drives, which is seen as logical Disk 1 (320GB) in the Disk Management mmc console. This contains my C: drive, XP Pro. I also have a second boot partition of XP Pro on this logical drive that I use for test installs of various programs. In addition, I have several data partitions on it.
    I also have an 80GB drive. This is seen as (basic) Disk 0 by the Disk Management utility. On this disk I have a partition I use for an additional pagefile, plus some data partitions. It is on this drive that I am trying to install 2K3. My reasoning is 1) I have more unallotted space on the 80 GB drive, and 2) I didn't know if the RocketRaid drivers would work under 2K3, so I didn't want to install 2K3 to my RAID 0 setup.

4. brokenhead

Is the 2K3 insatll trying to write to the boot sector of Disk 0?
    You mentioned a manual addition to boot.ini...?

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Hopefully.

What does your boot.ini look like now?

Yes, I thought that you might try adding the entry manually to see what happens there. The problem will be determining the correct disk parameters to enter.

6. brokenhead

This is my boot.ini:

[boot loader]
    timeout=15
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /TUTag=WMSPQI /Kernel=TUKernel.exe

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional (TuneUp Backup)" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /TUTag=WMSPQI-BAK

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(8)\WINDOWS="XP PRO for Testing" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="XP PRO test" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Note: TUKernel.exe above is from TuneUp Utilities modifying my boot and welcome screens and shouldn't affect anything.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Wow. A lot of partitions on that drive.

Now, what disk parameters correspond to your other 2k3 partition?

Something else to consider---
    You probably used some thrid-party partitioner to make this setup since you appear at least to have more primary partitions than MS partitioning will allow. Is the partition that you are installing 2k3 on both a primary partition and active? If not, use your partitioner to change those parameters.

8. brokenhead

You are correct about the 3rd party thing. I used Partion Magic - it seems to work great. Is there a way to post a screenshot of my drive arrangement from PM?

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you have a source URL for the image, or you could use one of the free image hosts.

10. brokenhead

These jpegs sre from Partition Magic and the Disk Manager console.

Attached Files:

11. brokenhead

Again, thanks for your attention, Elvandil.
    I just downloaded 2K3 drivers for my RocketRAID and am going to give a shot to installing to unallocated space on the RAID 0 array.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594145

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice