1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multiboot whoas...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by flagtrax, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flagtrax

flagtrax Thread Starter

I hope this fits this forum I didn't see one for Multibooting issues. That being said here is my delema: I have a multiboot system (xp, vista, win 7). When I put this system together I had 3 smaller drives that the os's were scattered across. I want to place them all on a single 1TB drive WITHOUT reloading. I've used partition wizard to create the needed partitions and copied the os partitions over. I then tried to use easybcd to redirect the boot process. But, when I boot the machine it reverts back to the original boot drive. I've reconfigured it several times to the point that it is obvious that I'm missing something. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. Unktone

Unktone

You could take the old volumes off of the boot order in your BIOS, and use diskpart.exe to make the new partition active so your computer can boot from it.

If the reason you want to do it without reloading is because you don't want to reinstall all your programs and configure your settings, you could create a thick image of the volume and put the image on the new volume.

3. flagtrax

flagtrax Thread Starter

I really had no problem copying the existing partitions to new ones created on the 1TB drive to house them. The problem came in the boot setup. No matter what settings I put in using easybcd, the boot order was altered when rebooting; even after changing the order in bios. Since last post I removed all but the TB drive and it did boot to the Windows 7 partition, however, things wern't right and in the end I had a blank desktop with a notation in the lower corner that it was not a genuine version of windows 7. Perhaps something is encoded on the origional partition that wasn't transfered? I've spent more time than it would take to reload all software, I thought it would be easier than this, but it is a curious puzzle.

4. Unktone

Unktone

Ah, yeah Microsoft has it's little security stuff in there that has probably detected the copy. You can call customer support, if you have bought a legitimate copy of Win7 before, and they will give you a few extra product keys for it.

However, seeing as you wanted to do the change of boot quick and easy, having to call up people and all that stuff isn't what you we're looking for im sure haha. If you just use diskpart.exe to set the old one to inactive, and the ones you want to boot from to active it should work without having to remove the drive you used to boot from.

5. flagtrax

flagtrax Thread Starter

What I wanted to do was move my OS and apps to a new drive/partition in tact so as not to have to reload everything. Since I couldn't simply copy the partition and have Windows 7 run correctly on the new location I saw no alternative but to Install the 3 operating systems fresh. The old drive still has a copy of vista and win7 on it. I added a Easybcd entry to the boot menu and can also boot to the old copy of windows 7 at least this will make it easier to get files off of it. Reloading apps is another issue, any suggestions?

6. bbearren

bbearren

When Windows 7 is installed in a multi-boot configuration, it places the BCD store on the root of the existing boot drive. That means if you move the installation as you did from multiple drives to a single drive, the drive image of the original boot drive must be placed on the first partition of the single drive, and the other drive images must be placed in their corresponding partitions on the single drive.

If true drive imaging was used, Windows should not have known that it had been moved. I have done similar to this on two different computers of mine (upgrading to a larger drive in a two-drive system) without incident. I restored multiple logical drive images from the old drive to the new, larger drive.

Is that the method you used?

7. flagtrax

flagtrax Thread Starter

Sounds about right. I partitioned a 1TB drive to 3 partitions for my copies of xp, vista and win7 using PartitionWizard. I also used PartitionWizard to copy the same partitions from their existing locations to the new partitions on the 1TB drive. I then used EasyBCD to restructure the boot path also setting the bios to the new 1TB drive. I use windows 7 the most but use the others for an aid to troubleshoot for friends still using those systems, and for some software that won't run on win7 I use win7 most so it was the most importent to me. But as stated before when it booted it came up with a blank desktop with a message in the lower left corner near the system notification area stating that it was not a genuine copy of windows 7. The other 2 OS's booted ok. so as stated I have repartitioned the drive and did a normal install of all 3 OS's and am in the process of digging out and reloading all the apps associated with each.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977128

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice