Multibooting?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

xCensored

Banned
I couldn't seem to find the appropriate section for this, so move this to another section if it's unrelated.

I was reading through this networking textbook about operating systems and I just found out that a computer can have more than one operating system. I have Windows XP installed through the Data Drivers Recovery CD and that's all I got related to my computer OS WINXP. If I wanted to install Windows XP to another computer that had Windows Vista, with that CD, is it possible, even though it says Data Drivers Recovery CD? Or do I need the actual Installation of WINDOWS XP (and other OS'S?)
)

panicrooster

Banned
Sounds like you have the recovery disks to a different install but odds are it won't activate but you left that out. If you install on another pc then it shouldn't activate there either. To install a legitimate XP installation you need an original XP/OS disk for install and even then you need one you can activate.

xCensored

Banned
Where do I purchase these? Can I get them at a retail store such as radioshack, circuit city, or best buy?

Which one's do I install?
It is up to you.
If you want Linux, click on the link provided, after downloading, burn file as an .iso image.
You now have a LiveCD. This means you can insert disc, reboot PC and test drive the OS. If it doesn't boot, ensure BIOS is set to boot from CD/DVD first before the HD.
(This is just a test, it works much better installed. But you will know if it will recognize your hardware.)

You will find a help file on the desktop after booting to the LiveCD.
Back-up important files before you do this with any OS you choose.
You should be okay to partition and install, but better safe than sorry.
First link beneath "Parent Directory."

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
If you already have Vista on a PC and want to add XP for a dual boot you must read up on the procedure for doing so or else you will end up reinstalling Vista. And before you buy an XP CD check to make sure that XP chipset and other drivers are available for your PC. Definitely worth it if you have a need or big desire for Vista and XP on the same PC.

But it sounds to me that your interest is in experimenting with dual-boot. If so, try the Linux route.

Ubuntu is a good first try. It's neither too robust nor too sparse for a Linux beginner. If you can use XP you can probably use Ubuntu w/o too much effort. Especially if you are already using non-Microsoft browser and email client. You can use, as I have, Wubi to install Ubuntu (or Kubuntu or Xubuntu) as a Windows application; this gives you the dual boot experience w/o the hassles of partitioning. And, as mentioned by RootbeaR, you can boot it as a Live CD.

xCensored

Banned
How do I burn the ISO onto the CD using NERO ULTIMATE? I read somewhere that in order to boot using ISO, you need to like I think convert it to an image? or NRG? What are those? Do I need to convert?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online