1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multifunction Printer advice please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pfurball, May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pfurball

pfurball Thread Starter

:D Howdy All,
    This is not a problem per se, I am seeking information. I want to upgrade my multifunction printer to one that uses separate ink tanks as I always use the blue up first then have to replace the whole tri colour cartridge whilst there is still ink in it. I currently use and am very happy with my Hewlett Packard but have been looking at upgrading and the one I like is $400 australian, a little out of my pocket. In my local computer store, there are Epson multifunctions with separate ink tanks for $170 australian but the store just wants to sell me something and isn't too good at answering questions. The main thing I am trying to find out, with little success or maybe I am not asking the right questions in "searches", is whether this Epson has separate printheads with each ink tank, like the Hewlett Packard does. I once had a Cannon printer that the heads died on and it cost me more than the printer to buy a new set. I was a newbie and the store didn't bother to tell me it would be cheaper to buy a new printer than to buy the print heads. I have since found out that not all MFP's have the print heads changed with each ink tank and some just use a built in set, which means it gets more expensive in the long run when changing things over or if you have print head problems.
    Hopefully, some TSG members might be able to help me or point me in the right direction for links to find out my answers!!!
    Thanx in advance for any help available.
    Regards
    Paula :)

2. wacor

wacor Banned

Hi,

How much printing do you do?

There are different theories on buying stuff in this throw away society we have..

I bought a canon and that has 3 or 4 tanks and have had no trouble with it. paid about $100 US. i figure if i get a year out of it that is ok and will just replace it.

have a small business and probably print anywhere from 10 to 30 pages of stuff each day

3. pfurball

pfurball Thread Starter

Howdy wacorsaut
    I help run a small business and buy and sell on ebay so do about the same amount of printing as you do. I get used to my peripherals and like them to hang around a while! Mainly because by a few years, I have managed to become au fait with all their apps and uses!! I had a canon before but they seem to have very small tanks that continually need refilling and as I said, don't have built in print heads.
    Regards Paula :)

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

What HP multi-function machine do you have?

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

You know you are right about the small Canon cartridges, but they really are the most inexpensive to operate on inkjet as far as I am concerned because the cartridges are so cheap.

6. wacor

wacor Banned

Yes they are small but i do predominently letters in black and white so don't use a lot of ink.

and as stated they are about as cheap as any cartidges you can find.

Mine is not multi use - just printing and I have found it easy to replace the ink with refill kits on the model i have.

7. pfurball

pfurball Thread Starter

Howdy,
    At present I run an ancient HP MFP 1210 which has two ink tanks, a tricolour and black. The ink tanks come with fresh print heads each refill.
    Regatrds Paula :)

8. ~Candy~

Interesting that you'd run out of blue. I hardly ever print in color, even web pages or email links that would use up a lot of blue.

Just a thought, do you really need color that much? My HPs have the tri-color and B&W, I usually go through 2 Blacks for every one color cartridge.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Hey I have a Brother fax machine that uses inkjet ink. I am still wondering why once a year I need to replace the color cartridges in order to have it work when I have never printed color on it ever!!!

10. ~Candy~

There was an explanation of that in another thread, I think it was kiwiguy who posted it.

I still have to have both cartridges in to print, as I think is the case with most printers.

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

Thanks I'll check it out!

12. pfurball

pfurball Thread Starter

Howdy all,
    Yes, I have to have both ink tanks to print or I get annoying messages to tell me that there is no/low ink and would I like to order more.etc.
    AcaCandy I print out all sorts of stuff including photos, cartoons and stuff and me being a magpie, I like the pretties (hangs head)
    I also like decorating my TAFE assignments when doing screen dumps to illustrate points I want to make and I know I could do it cheaper than using coloured images but it looks nicer. I also go through more black than anything else, but for some reason, MSN or eBay maybe? the blue goes long before everything else and this printer won't let me continue with a colour gone from the lineup for some reason. The previous version just used what was left.
    Regards Paula :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/466095

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice