1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multiple Blue Screen Errors

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Riz, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Riz

Riz Thread Starter

Hello everyone. First post on these forums so hope this is in the right place and that you can help me out.

Bought a new PC last year but last month I had a problem with it where I had a blue screen error and then it would not connect to the internet anymore, even though the modem and ISP were both fine (tested on my old PC). A techy friend of mine had a look at it but there was nothing he could do so I reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled everything. Since then it's been working okay most of the time but I do keep getting blue screen errors resulting in me having to restart the PC. This is annoying when I'm in the middle of something and I'm also worried that it is a symptom of something being seriously wrong. I've checked for viruses and spyware etc but can't seem to find anything.

Unfortunately I had the "auto restart after crash" option on so I didn't get a chance to even read the blue screens to find out what was wrong. From looking at other topics on this forum it seems like the minidump files might hold some answers but I'm totally clueless as to how to even open them, let alone see what they mean. :eek:

I'm attaching the files to this post and maybe someone could take a look and see what the problem is.

It's a Compaq PC, can't recall exact make and model I'm afraid. I'm running Vista 32 bit and have 2.5GB of RAM with an Nvidia GeForce 7300 graphics card.

Attached Files:

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Most of the minidumps are indicating "memory corruption" or other errors often associated with ram faults.

Has the ram been tested?

Since these errors continued after a clean install you have to suspect hardware.

Vista has a built in memory checker you can try (run mdsched.exe, read the additional info and run the extended tests.

You may also want to try the more thorough memtest86 >>

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic

2.5 gig of ram?

That suggests something has been installed other than what came with it. Perhaps it is not fully compatible.

Has anything been added hardware wise?

3. Riz

Riz Thread Starter

Not tested the RAM and yes, it was added after purchase of the PC. The PC came with only 1GB RAM so I took out out one of the sticks and put in a 2GB stick instead.

Will test the RAM when I get home from work and put the results up here. Thanks for your help.

4. ShadowProwler420

ShadowProwler420

Are each of the sticks the same make (DDR or DDR2, PC2700 or PC3200, etc.)? If they differ from each other in this sense, that could be your problem.

5. Riz

Riz Thread Starter

Ran the vista memory check and it all came up fine. I have been browsing the web though and it seems the maximum memory that my machine can take is 2GB. I currently have a 2GB and a 512MB stick in there. Is it possible that going over the limit for the machine may have caused the problems or would it just fail to register the excess RAM? Could the differing size of the sticks in the machine be the problem?

If I just remove the 512 stick, as I still have the maximum RAM the machine can take, it shouldn't have any impact on performance should it?

Edit- also just noticed that the HP site says 2x1GB sticks. Would having a single 2GB stick be causing problems?

6. ShadowProwler420

ShadowProwler420

You could be dealing with a dual-channel memory issue.

Here is an excerpt taken from a Wiki article on the subject:

7. Riz

Riz Thread Starter

Thanks. I've replaced the existing sticks with a matched pair of 1GB sticks. Hopefully that will stop the errors.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!