1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multiple Broadband Connections

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rexxz, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rexxz

rexxz Thread Starter

Hey, I'm trying to connect my brother's computer to my cable modem via ethernet(mine is currently using USB). I can't get any signal to the computer, even though we have all drivers installed. I've done this before on other modems though, so what am I doing wrong? I don't think a router is necesary for using this method, since its only one other computer and using an open connection on the modem...

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you're not getting any signal to the computer, there must be a problem with the cable or one of the ports it's connecting to, or your modem doesn't support two simultaneous connections.

Should I assume that you have already arranged with your ISP for two internet connections and know what, if anything, you need to do to add the second?

3. rexxz

rexxz Thread Starter

Ah well, I suppose that would be my problem then. I assumed that it was just supposed to work, and not need any further assistance from my ISP to allow multiple connections. I suppose I might need to be getting that router then, after all? Oh well.

4. jhoegl

jhoegl

Most modems are not routers that are for residential use. If they are, they are probly 2wire (ATT uses these).

Router is the answer.

5. rexxz

rexxz Thread Starter

Hm, it's strange then because I have done this one another friend's modem, which is the same exact one of mine... is it up to the ISP? I don't know about their account details or if they paid for that extra option but that seems to be the logical answer, right?

6. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

There are a number or modems that are modem/routers that have a USB interface and an ethernet and 1 in ethernet and one in USB works just fine.

You have not supplied a make/model of the modem device to know what its capable of.

Be careful if you buy a router and this modem is a modem router then you can have issues putting them together. If your not sure what this device is post the make/model and we can tell you.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Just some info ...

I have a Motorola Surfboard 4200 cable modem. It does not include a router function; it has a USB port and an ethernet port and will support one connection on the USB and up to 30-some connections using a switch on the ethernet port.

That multiple connection support depends on the ISP. I have heard that some cable ISPs do permit multiple connections. Most do not, unless they charge for it.

My cable ISP will provide additional connections for a monthly fee. I pay for only the one. Before getting a router, when I connected a PC to the "other" port I could (only) go to a specific site (by IP address) where my only option was to switch connections--and then restart my PC.

8. jhoegl

jhoegl

The ISP would have to provide a 2nd IP for you then. That is probly the issue.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Since we still don't know rexxz's modem or its capabilities or his ISP or their policies, it seems a little premature to give a probable cause. OTOH, I agree with you! :)

10. jhoegl

jhoegl

Doesnt really matter what the issue is, end result is he needs a router. Most ISPs wont give a 2nd IP for residential.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488906

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice