1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multiple browsers crashing/update issues?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Hillian, Aug 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hillian

Hillian Thread Starter

I have had an issue the past few days with a computer. Basically whenever I open up Firefox(newest version) or IE9 they will just lockup and crash. A thing pops up about sending in a report to Mozilla and I've done that and no word back yet. IE 9 just crashes and restarts itself over and over again. The weird thing is that Chrome works perfectly fine. I've also noticed that when I try to update certain programs like Avast, it won't connect to the server it says. This happens for a few other programs too like Windows Update. Some programs I can update fine though like Spyboy S&D. I've run multiple scans with Avast including boot time and full scans. I've also ran full scans with MBAM and Spybot. I've found a few items and cleaned them such as Whitesmoke-pup and a few other random things like coupon bar. I've even run CC Cleaner and Registry Mechanic and still no luck. I've reinstalled both browsers and even previous versions of the browser and it doesn't help any. I'm not sure what is causing these crashes to happen and haven't found much online that's useful. Any help suggestions would be great on this matter! Thanks in advance.

2. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

How long has it been since you've been able to update MBAM or Avast!? Sounds like some kind of infection or remnants of an infection to me.

Peace...

3. krystianb12

krystianb12

There Could be an Virus, Try Running a Scan and see the results?

4. tomdkat

@krystianb12:

Peace...

5. krystianb12

krystianb12

Sorry My Bad, didnt read it properly, When did this start happening, did it just happen out of nowhere or did you install a program, or did anything with your computer that may have caused this?

6. Hillian

Hillian Thread Starter

The problem with running the scan is that even if I wanted to, I can't update the Avast definitions as stated in the first post. Any other ideas?

7. Hillian

Hillian Thread Starter

It's not my computer, it's my grandpas. The only thing he ever uses it for is to browse model airplane websites and email through outlook. He said it jsut started happening randomly the other day. Odd. Very odd to me.

8. tomdkat

Well, see if you can boot into "safe mode w/ networking" and see if you can update MBAM or Avast! that way.

Peace...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1010474

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice