1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multiple Browsers... Is IE neccessary?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Backspace, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Backspace

Backspace Thread Starter

First Name:
    Lyn
    I use Slimbrowser exclusively. I would like to ask if IE is neccessary or can I remove it? Does Slimbrowser and other browsers rely on IE to function? Task manager shows that it is running all the time taking up 38,280K. Do other functions of the system rely on it as well?

Will someone please enlighten me on this issue....:confused:

Thanks so much!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i would keep IE as some site will not work with other browsers, particularly microsoft sites

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    At this site under System Requirements I see "Win95+IE4 is the minimum requirement." And the size is only ~2MB. Makes me think that it is implemented as a front end for IE; if correct that would explain why your IE is always running.

My IE never runs, except when I launch it to try to help somebody else. I use Firefox.

4. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

Slimbrowser uses IE's rendering engine as do Avant, Maxthon, and some others.

Peace...

5. Gopaldaas

Gopaldaas

How can you completely remove IE from vista?

6. hewee

hewee

You want IE so you can get microsoft updates.
    Plus now and then if you can not get to a site you may be able to with IE.

7. Backspace

Backspace Thread Starter

First Name:
    Lyn
    Hey there heewee! Yes, I figured that would be the case. Come to think of it... I HAVE had to use it occationally when Slimbrower would not run something correctly. I just wish it didn't have to take up 38,280K just sitting there. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone!

8. hewee

hewee

I see you got XP also so bet IE is taking up even more then what you say because you have or XP Pro you got the IE temp for each user. Also IE is part of windows and that "C:\Documents and Settings\User name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files" folder gets use by other programs and updates from other programs.
    Like looking right now a copy program I got put two files in the IE temp folder. SUPERAntiSpyware uses the IE temp and so does SpywareBlaster and others so you need the IE temp folder.
    So maybe you just need a bigger and or 2nd hard drive so that added space IE is taking will not bother you.

Plus I have Microsoft Update http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx installed too because it has given me updates that have not showed up under Windows Update. They are not the same but other wise look the same and the history etc from either one all show up on the other so your see the full history but I use Microsoft Update all the time or each month because I know it will show all the updates.
    You have to install Microsoft Update also and I forget how much space that takes up but not all that much. ;)

Otherwise IE would not even touch my computer. Darn I went years without IE even when I had 98SE because I had a 28 k modem and then a 56 k modem. I was not not going to get the update so never installed IE but I needed IE to use a image program or to get it to work you had to have IE 5 or better but you did not have to use IE. So like I said IE is part of windows and some programs need IE installed even if you never use IE.
    Go look in your IE temp folder and look at all the files and that your see that got there even if you never open IE to use it.

9. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Apologize for intruding, but this seems a good place to ask a question.

I run "XP Pro." In the section of Control Panel/Add-Remove that is labeled "Add/Remove Windows Components" IE is listed. If you uncheck that entry, what actually takes place?

{redoak}

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

As mentioned, Slimbrowser, Avant, and a large number of others are not "browsers" at all, but facades for IE, new "skins" for IE's Trident rendering engine. It is the IE engine running in each of them, and if IE were removed (and it can't be--it is part of the OS), none of those "browsers" would work any more. Just look at the sizes of those skins like Slimbrowser. How could a full browser fit in less than 2 MB's? Not possible.

We've had threads here where people have gone to extremes to remove IE, but it just plain can't be done. For one thing, explorer and iexplore share functionality in the OS. Even if you removed all traces of IE, all folders, and files, and registry entries, if the machine would still boot, and you put a URL in an address box in Explorer, there's IE again, only this time in the form of Explorer.exe.

If you don't want to use it, ignore it, or get a real browser that is not just a skin for IE.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    redoak, I think that if you do what you asked about all that happens is that the IE shortcut icons are removed from the desktop, Quick Launch area and All Programs menu. Not sure, 'cause all I do is manually and quickly remove the first two listed icons and then, as Elvandil advises, ignore it.

Also, as Elvandil said, you cannot remove IE. Remember that Microsoft "integrated" the browser with Windows as part of their successful campaign to wipe out Netscape as a competitor.

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

Other good reasons to keep IE around are that it tested to be a very secure browser last year, coming in with about half the security flaws of Firefox, for example.

Around 80% of the people in the world use IE as their primary browser. So most new plugins and browser add-ons are created for IE first or exclusively. There are many sites I visit that require plug-ins to work, for 3D views, for example, that work only in IE. If you write web pages, you need to be sure they are rendered properly in IE.

It really takes up little space, may be needed at some point, and can't be removed, anyway, so if you don't like it, ignore it or get a skin for it like Avant, Slimbrowser, or any of the 10's of others.

13. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

The thing is, a "traditional" browser isn't the only kind of application that can use IE's underpinnings for web page support. hewee mentioned SUPERAntispyware using the IE temp folder. When you use SUPERAntispyware and run an update, it actually uses IE underpinnings to display the list of updates it downloads. How do I know this? I had a situation where IE was prevented from accessing the Internet and the update list couldn't be displayed and I got an IE "page not found" message instead.

This sort of touches on the "IE is tightly integrated in Windows" topic. Another example of this kind of thing is how MS Outlook uses MS Word as its editor. If you fire up MS Outlook and start to compose a message, looking at the list of running processes in task manager will show word.exe running.

I would venture to guess many "Internet aware" apps that run on Windows use IE, in some form, to render web content.

Peace...

14. Backspace

Backspace Thread Starter

First Name:
    Lyn
    Yes, other than some nice graphics and some pretty cool features in XP... I wish I had good ole reliable WIN98 back again.

15. hewee

hewee

Other things will not work right. Plus if you update IE then you got newer version in add/remove also.
    But then when you go to MS update things you updates on will need updates again because you had updates for .net or other parts of windows that was base also on you having IE and the version of IE.

Hey good info there tomdkat on the way IE is used a a temp folder by other programs.

Having 98SE will not do away with IE being needed because it is still part of windows and it is getting hard to get programs to even work on 98SE and even if they do the System Requirements are getting to be to much. Or to much ram is needed so your have to fix the 98 memory limit to start with and even then it will change as they drop support like everyone else on 98.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/786223

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice