1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multiple BSOD errors on startup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Traincraft101, Jun 9, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Traincraft101

Traincraft101 Thread Starter

This problem began on june 8, 2019. I have had this computer for more than 6 months and never had this problem before. I was watching a Youtube video on my windows 10 pc and suddenly my computer crashed for no apparent reason. The audio crapped out and the screen went black. It tried to reboot itself and was in the middle of starting windows when the first blue screen of death occurred. It would just keep going in a loop of blue screen errors until I had to unplug my computer. I tried to reinstall windows on a fresh hard drive, but that resulted in the same errors. I was eventually able to get to my operating system for a short period of time after startup repair did its thing, so I tried reinstalling my nvidia drivers and ran the memory diagnostic tool like everyone else said. The memory test didn't conclude anything, and reinstalling my drivers didn't work either. I really can't afford to blindly replace each of my computer parts one by one until the problem goes away, as this is a $600 gaming pc I built. I just can't for the life of me figure out what the problem is. Any help is appreciated.

My PC specs: CPU: intel i7 6700k, GPU: Nvidia GTX1050, RAM: 2x4gb ddr4 hyperx, Motherboard: ASUS H110M-K, PSU: Cooler Master rs-400 (400 watt), HDD, WD blue 1tb, operating system: Windows 10 professional. I have the latest bios revision by asus.
    BSOD errors: page_fault_in_nonpaged_area, System_Thread_Exception_Not_Handled, kmode_exception_not_handled, irql_not_less_or _qual, unexpected_kernel_mode_trap, system_service_exception, and maybe some others I can't remember. The one that seems to come up the most is "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area", followed by System_Thread_Exception_Not_Handled.
    I am using my spare laptop to write this.

Attached Files:

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What are your temps and voltages? Enter the bios and post the following info; cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Let the system run in the bios for at least 2min to stabilize temps and voltages.
    How exactly did you test the memory? Did you use memtest boot usb or what? If you used memtest, it must run for a minimum of 1hr to test memory. If you used the windows built in memory test, that is not really all that much of a test.
    Just an observation however from your pics and specs, you are using a dell case with a low end asus motherboard. Asus makes some very fine motherboards however the micro type board you have is designed for use in a basic system ie running office, email, etc NOT running a gaming type video card. In addition, using a dell case with an industry standard type motherboard almost always results in problems. In short, when you use miss-matched parts, you are asking for problems.
    You do understand that your motherboard is now going on four yrs old and the processor is about the same age. Why build with parts that are four years old?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  3. Traincraft101

Here are my answers:
    1. My cpu is idling at 42 degrees celsius and the cpu core voltage is 1.248 volts. the 3.3v voltage is at 3.376 v, the 5v voltage is at 5.2 v, and the 12v voltage is at 12.384 v.
    2. I used windows memory diagnostic.
    3. I bulilt my pc with older parts because I can't afford high end components.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Use a memtest boot usb to test your memory. Let it run for a minimum of 1hr to see if you have any errors. One error is too much. Next your voltages [specifically the 12V and 5V] are slightly off. Since you do not have an operating system installed and working, it is difficult to test these under a load. In the bios, the system is not loaded at all.

Since these are old parts, were they new when you built the system OR were they used/pulled parts?

5. Traincraft101

I can't get memtest 8.2 to boot, but version 4.3.7 is working. Is the old version as reliable as the new version?

6. Traincraft101

Ok, I ran memtest 4.3.7 once and there were no errors. "Pass complete, no errors, press Esc to exit"

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

How long did you run it ie how much time?
    You have not answered. Were these used parts or new?

8. Traincraft101

ram: used. cpu: used. gpu: new. hdd: new. psu: used. motherboard: used. AIO liquid cooler: brand new.
    I ran memtest for 1.5 hours with no errors.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK 1.5hr is fine. Since you have already done a clean install of windows, you are going to have to start swapping parts OR testing your parts in a bench or test system. There really is no other way to find out what has failed.
    As to which parts to start with, I would start with the pw supply since the voltages you posted are a little off however it is up to you.

10. Traincraft101

Thanks! I'll replace the power supply and see if that works or not. It may be a while before I can give you an update, though. I'll make sure to get a new power supply this time.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Be sure you purchase a quality pw supply. The brands I recommend for a gaming type system; corsair [AX, HX, or RM models only] seasonic, FSP [only units with the 5yr warranty] or antec [HCG models only]

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other thing. As long as you purchase a quality pw supply, you can use that in a new build.

13. Traincraft101

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is fine for general use however not for running a gaming system. If you want evga, go with the supernova series. EVGA does not mfg their own pw supplies; the supernova series is mfg by seasonic so it is very high quality. The supernova series has either a 7yr or 10yr warranty vs the 3yr warranty for the one you linked to; that alone should tell you about the quality.

15. Traincraft101

I know it's kind of a stretch, but would absolutely anything above 500 watts in the $50 - $65 zone work for gaming? I really am sorry about how pushy i'm being, and I appreciate your help a lot. I just don't have a lot of spending money right now, so if there's nothing worth buying in that price range, I'll just get by with my spare computer for a while.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228332

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice