1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multiple calendars

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by gurutech, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

I have a client who is looking to have separate calendars for different jobs they are working on. I know this can be done with Outlook, but would like to know how this can be done on a Mac and/or iPad/iPhone, so everything will sync properly to an iDevice.

2. Headrush

Headrush

Within iCal you can create as many calendars as you wish.
    Each can be assigned a unique colour and you can toggle which ones to view or not view.
    Even calendars shared with others are included and they will all sync properly.

Ex:
    [​IMG]

3. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

I thought that would work, but it would need to integrate with Exchange (don't see problem here), and Outlook 2011 (here's the possible problem). They would rather only use one application for calendar.

Right now I have "sharing" turned on, so they can see each other's calendar, and appointments and such can just be entered directly into the calendar for the correct person, rather than creating the appointment in their own calendar and then inviting the other person.

4. Headrush

Headrush

Can you explain your situation in more detail?
    (Your second post seems to add additional things not mentioned in the first post and made things more confusing)

1) How many clients are there? (1 or 2)
    2) Are they running Macs or PCs?
    3) One uses Exchange and the other Outlook and you want to sync to iCal on OS X?
    4) You want the 2 clients to share a calendar?

Any other info?

5. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

Sorry for the confusion, I'm just getting involved in this "project" as well...

From what I understand, there is one iMac (desktop), and a Mac laptop (not sure of model or anything, as it wasn't available when I was onsite to check everything out). There is also an iPad and possibly an iPhone. There are no actual PC's (ie. Windows)

Exchange is hosted off-site. I don't know the configuration on the laptop or the iPad/iPhone at this time, but the iMac desktop has a single user account with one Outlook profile. This profile has 2 mailboxes (one for each user), and both are accessed by clicking on the person's name.

One user is mobile and the office user (with the desktop) wants to put things directly into the mobile user's calendar, without having to put them in her own calendar and "inviting" the mobile user. This part has been resolved, by adding the office user as a delegate to the mobile user's calendar. This configuration will sync to the iPad and iPhone.

A second thing they were hoping to be able to do is create separate calendars (almost like a "Public Calendar") that they can use as a second calendar, specific to the job they are working on. For example, if I was one of their customers, they could put all of our meetings in both the mobile user's calendar and the calendar specific to me.

I figured out how to create multiple calendars within Outlook, but it doesn't appear that these extra calendars will be able to sync to/from the iPad/iPhone without a 3rd party utility or a jailbroken device.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!