1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

multiple copies (163!) of spuninst.exe

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mac the fork, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mac the fork

mac the fork Thread Starter

hi guys; many a time i've found sound advice here from 'googling' a problem. But this time i cannot find anything relating to this;

running a search for *.exe (trying to track an elusive file) among the 1611 files found were 163 all called spuninst.exe inside C:\WINDOWS there were several setup.exe too (16) whereas my friend only has one of each. My system was bought in feb this year (2007) My system details are included in my profile(?)

If anyone can suggest why it should write so many copies (each stored in a uniquely numbered folder) at different dates, I would be most grateful.

Or if someone can tell me if it is safe to delete excess copies of file. (though this will not explain the WHY, and it may just continue to write copies ad nauseaum)

cheers

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

It would appear that you keep your PC updated with MS updates while your friend doesn't.

The program lives in each folder that contains an MS update and is the uninstaller for that update.

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Trusted Advisor

There is a folder C:\Windows\$NtUninstallKB888113$ (example) for each MS update that has been installed on your PC, and there is a setup.exe and spuninst.exe in each.

You can safely delete all of them (including the folders containing them) if you do not intend to uninstall the MS updates at a later date.

4. mac the fork

mac the fork Thread Starter

Thanks for that, -and so quick!

If I decided to re-install windows, will i need to uninstall each update manually, save them, and then re-install them?

And if I reformatted and re-installed windows from disc? (or would the microsoft internet update feature simply detect i do not have said updates and re-install them?

While I appreciate the security aspects of having updates do these affect the whole windows environment or just Internet Explorer? (Bit of a dumb question; I suppose i mean If I dont use I.E. will Windows still be at risk if i don't install updates? )
    I rarely even use Internet Explorer -only for checking hotmail, as MSN messenger automatically opens an I.E. page for it -and Hotmail doesn't work as well on non-windows browsers..

Many thanks, guys. Sorted

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543751