1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multiple e-mail accounts problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Marty9, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Marty9

Marty9 Thread Starter

I am running XP, outlook express IE7, SP2.

I am trying to set up multiple e-mail accounts, one for my husband on his computer and one for myself. The two computers are networked. It is a pop 3, SMTP and I have the two accounts set up but the account #1 mail is going to account #1 and #2. The same thing is happening to account #2.

Is what I am attempting to do even possible, or will I have to set up a g-mail or hot mail account for one of us and the other of us use OE?

Thanks

:confused:

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, if they're on one machine in the same account, all the mail will come to the same place. You need separate XP user accounts so that each user has their own Outlook Express profile. You then only setup that XP user's account information in their user profile. Obviously, you'll have to logon to the separate account to fetch the mail.

3. Marty9

Marty9 Thread Starter

No, there are two separate pcs that are networked. The users are separate (User "Marty" and User "Jim") and the e-mail accounts are set up as" [email protected]" "and [email protected]". Jim receives e-mail addressed to him but he also receives e-mail addressed to Marty. The same occurs with Marty's e-mail.

Does this help, or am I not understanding what you are suggesting that I need to do?

4. JohnWill

Well, that's different. I guess I'd have to see exactly what you're configuring in that case. I used to have Comcast, and I was able to separately address the accounts. We had three accounts, and the email never got crossed. I have a couple of accounts on Verizon, as well as a number of other accounts, I can access each of them individually.

5. Marty9

Marty9 Thread Starter

Can you tell me what exactly you need to know in order to help me? Please keep in mind that, like you, I am "advanced in age" but, unlike you, not "advanced in experience"!

Thanks

Marty

6. JohnWill

Well, I've been thinking about that, and truthfully, I can't imagine how you're making it work the way it is.

I think you need to look at the configuration of the accounts at Comcast, I'm at a loss why it doesn't work. What does Comcast say?

7. Marty9

Marty9 Thread Starter

I have not contacted Comcast. I'm using Outlook Express mail....just had to convert from Time-Warner to Comcast when they were bought.

8. rolandk10

rolandk10

From outlook express, Try looking in the TOOLS > EMAIL ACCOUNTS menu. From there, view the accounts. If you see both of the accounts on both machines, just remove the one you don't want on each machine.

9. Marty9

Marty9 Thread Starter

Okay, I'll try that.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542922

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice