1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multiple email messages sent with video clip attachments

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by bj nick, Oct 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I use outlook 2002 from Office XP Suite. My OS is windows xp home.

When I send an email with a video clip attached, Outlook sends out scads of repeated emails, one after another. Someone I send the clip to might receive 15-20 copies. Yesterday my father got about 60 (!), resulting in the trashing of his email inbox. This only happens with video clip attachments, nothing else.

Virus scans haven't turned up anything...any ideas? Things to check? As I wait responses, I will run another virus scan, just to be sure...

2. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

Hi,

Outlook has a setting to break apart e-mails with large attachments. This could make a single 20 MB e-mail into twenty 1 MB e-mails.

I'm not running Outlook at present, so I can't check the exact location of this option.

hth

Ceri

3. jrom727

jrom727

4. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

the most recent video clip was only a couple of mg's. It happens on ANY size clip.

I receive video files from all over without having them zipped...I'd like to know what is actually causing this to occur...

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Since you have W-XP, you don't need winzip to create a zip file .. or unzip it.
    This feature is built into W-XP .... see compressed folders.

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Video clips are usually compressed and zipping them will be unlikely to help.

Outlook 2000 does have a setting that automatically splits large files into multiple smaller emails, but as it was dropped from later versions I cannot help you with setting/disabling it.

But it certainly sounds like that is the problem.

7. jrom727

jrom727

I think the setting you're talking about is here for O 2000:

Outlook 2000->Accounts->Properties->Advanced Tab
    Uncheck Break apart messages larger than xxx

is that what you mean?

8. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I just can't see how that could be the issue...I am talking about sending the message to 5-6 people, and each of them receiving 10-20 copies. And last time, my dad received about 50! I got- no exaggeraton- 90 bounced mesages from my dad becuase his email box was so inundated...

Could breaking the clip up really cause all that...?

9. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Yes. What is your setting, what was the size of the video clip?
    Divide one into the other, video clips are usually huge in size (I chop peoples fingers off if they ever send me one).

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/410452

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice