Multiple emails

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hrichmnd4

I am using Outlook Express. When I send an email the person receiving it, gets as many as 20 copies. I only send one. How do I correct this?

throoper

Trusted Advisor (deceased)
Is it just one recipient or does everyone you send mail to receive multiple copies (including yourself)?
If it's just one, it may be a problem with their end.

Assuming it's everyone, it's likely the message is sticking in the Outbox and repeatedly sending.
The usual cause of that is a full Sent Items. OE can't copy the message to the Sent Items, so it stays in the Outbox to keep trying.

In the left pane folder tree, right click the Sent Items folder and click "New Folder". Name it something like Old Sent (or whatever you wish).
Move ALL messages you wish to keep from the Sent Items to the newly created folder (Delete what you don't want).
Open the now empty Sent Items to display it's contents in the right pane (It should display "There are no items in this view").
Click File>Folder>Compact.
When the Compact is done, send yourself a test message to see if you get multiples.
Please let us know if that solves the problem.

hrichmnd4

I moved all my sent emails to the old sent folder as you said. I received emails from several people saying that they were still receiving multiple emails with just a blank page. What should I do now? hrichmnd4

throoper

Did you Compact the Sent Items folder after emptying it?

I have windows live mail. I had an old deleted email show up the other day, at the back end of my email in box dated in july. It keeps multiplying by the thousandsl. I have changed my password to my email, I have blocked the email address from which it comes, I have deleted it over and over again, and it just keeps pouring into my box? Please help.

hrichmnd4

I compacted the old sent but not the new sent.I will go back and start all over. I hope it works hrichmnd4

throoper

I compacted the old sent but not the new sent.I will go back and start all over. I hope it works hrichmnd4
Yes. You need to compact the original Sent Items folder.
Moving or deleting messages doesn't remove the data from the DBX (database) file for that folder. The data is all still in the DBX file, it just doesn't display in OE. It only tags it for later removal by the compact process which cleans up the data file.
If Compacting doesn't work (the file could be beyond repair), we'll generate a new DBX file for it.

hrichmnd4

I tried your suggestions several times and the multiple emails persist. Each time that I sent an email I also send it to myself. I do not receive multiple emails but the people 4 people I send it to do. I send each email separately. Any more suggestions that might help me? One other thing, when I compact the sent item folder, the notification that comes up saying COMPACT, just flashes for one second. Is this normal? hrichmnd4

throoper

I would think if it's OE sending multiple messages, they would arrive in your Inbox as well.
The compact depends on how much needs to be cleaned up in the datafile.
I think to be sure it's not a DBX file problem, they should be regenerated.

First make sure any messages in the Sent Items folder you want are moved to another folder.
Next open the Message Store folder by doing the following.

You need to have Hidden files and Folders showing.
At the top of any folder(My Documents for example) click Tools>Folder Options>View tab.
Scroll down the list and place a check next to "Show Hidden Files and Folders" then click Apply and OK.

In OE
Click on Tools>Options>Maintenance tab>Store Folder.
On the Store Location box, highlight the address by pressing the Tab key on your keyboard.
Press Control+C (both at the same time) to copy the address to the clipboard.
Click Cancel on all boxes and close OE.

Click on Start>Run.
Press Control+V (both at the same time) to paste the address into the command line and click OK.
The Store Folder containing all the DBX files should open.

In the Message Store folder, locate and Delete the Sent Items.dbx and the Outbox.dbx. Both will be replaced with new files when you next open OE.

Open OE and see if it's still sending multiples.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online