1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multiple errors!! Possible hard drive failure??

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by the11thletter, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. the11thletter

the11thletter Thread Starter

My comp froze a few days ago and after rebooting I received this error: UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME. I ran chkdsk and that had seemed to solve the problem only to have it pop up again yesterday, along with a DELAYED WRITE FAILURE message and a KERNAL DATA INPAGE ERROR message. My AVG virus scan detected what it claimed to be a virus today but would not let me quarantine it. Any possible fixes?

I've looked around a few message boards and read that it may be signs of a hard drive failure. If so, any quick ways to back up the data besides copying it to and external HD or to dvd (I have a 100GB drive)?

Here are the specs:
    Dell XPS Gen2 Laptop
    2.0 Ghz intel Mobile Centrino
    100GB Fujitsu HD
    1.0 GB RAM
    XP Home SP2 OS

2. the11thletter

Can someone please give me some suggestions on what to do?? I would appreciate it!

Thanks.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

4. the11thletter

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

There's some choices about CD, floppy, or from Windows if you get there. Good luck.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

I would buy a new hard drive, reinstall Windows and then slave the old drive to the new one jumpered as master and copy off what you need. It's obvious drive is gone, I would not be trying to boot it to run tests until you get off what you need.

7. the11thletter

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it. I actually turned it on today and got nothing but the UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME error, so yeah, I think it's pretty much gone to hell. When I get the new drive do you think you could explain to me exactly how to do it? If that doesn't work to recover the data, I was thinking of sending it to a drive recovery service.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

This can be tough and hard drive recovery services can easily be $1000 or more so you know it. Being a laptop, which I didn't realize when I wrote that, makes it tougher. You could try one of these to see if you can read it. If you cannot, then sometimes freezing it in a ziploc bag for 4 hours and then trying same thing can work and that's about the best I can offer.
    http://www.emtcompany.com/products/adapters/usbide-usb-to-ide-adapter-cable.htm

9. natcom

natcom

just clone the drive to a new drive and you don't lose anything I personally use Acronis Disk Director Server. but you can buy norton ghost or any other imaging program only take like 35min to clone a drive

10. the11thletter

Ok, thanks. So try one of those adapters and see if it reads my hard drive, and if it does, and I'm not exactly sure how the process would work, just transfer the data to a new drive, correct?

And I've heard about freezing the HDD, I'm assuming I'd put just the HDD in there and not the entire laptop, correct?

11. the11thletter

Ok, but as it is right now, I don't even think I can get windows to load, all I kept getting yesterday was the UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME error. Would it still be possible to clone it?

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

Clones can be done from bootable CD, but I think you should concentrate on recovering any data you want to keep. Many cloners will refuse to clone a drive that has errors that the program detects.

The freeze thing seems to work sometimes. Put the drive in a plastic bag, freeze it, and try to get data from it before it warms up. It may even boot while cold, though unlikely. And the more you use it, the less likely that it will have the time left in its life to recover your data.

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes just the drive...and boot cold. If you can read it copy and paste quickly as you have about a half hour before "darkness" returns.

14. the11thletter

So, freeze the drive, put it back in the lap top and then copy the data to another drive? I'm guessing there wouldn't be time to copy the data to dvd.

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

Using the usb adapter, don't try to boot it and dvd 's are too slow for this most likely.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650086

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice