1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multiple firewire devices on multiple computers not working

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by edgefactory, Oct 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. edgefactory

edgefactory Thread Starter

I consider myself an advanced user, but this one I've never seen, nor can I find info out for...

I haven't been able to plug a video camera or external hard drive into my computer via FireWire. I then tried a different cable, nothing. I then tried a different device and cable, nothing. I then tried a different computer with two devices, nothing.

My USB2.0 works fine with each device and computer. I also took the new computer into CompUSA and they tried their firewire device and all worked. I bought a new firewire cable, but I have the same luck with each device.

How can 2 external hardrives, and one sony camera not work, after working for a year. What happened? What do I need to do?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Firewall settings?

3. linskyjack

linskyjack

firewall would have nothing to do with this----okay---are you daisy chaining these devices into a firewire port on your computer---firewire cards do go bad (happened to me) and that might be the problem. Its doubtful that your hardware is the problem. What about in device manager--whats it showing?

4. edgefactory

edgefactory Thread Starter

It's directly plugged in to port. I have one laptop, one desktop, two different devices and NONE work. All shows up normal and fine in device manager. When I took computer to compusa, their device and cord worked. But now it's been three computers, three devices, and NO firewire works on any of it on any computer. What are the odds? What's wrong?

5. linskyjack

linskyjack

Let me get this straight--You have two devices that support firewire--your video camera and your hard drive--you plug them into to two different computers with firewire ports and neither shows up in My Computer? What OS are you using--It makes little sense that two firewire ports could go wrong at once.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/280288

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice