1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Multiple Hard disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheProdigalSwagger, Mar 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheProdigalSwagger

TheProdigalSwagger Thread Starter

Can we insert a hard disk into PC when it is powered on?

When second hard disk is connected windows boots on secondary and not primary. How to change it?

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    A word of caution here:

First, unless you are using a hot swap tray or external dock, it is NOT recommended to open up the computer and attach an internal HDD. If you need to open up the case, power the computer off first.

Second, boot order and which drive to boot from is controlled by the BIOS. So you would need to boot into the BIOS and select the drive which you want to boot from.

TheProdigalSwagger likes this.
  3. TheProdigalSwagger

TheProdigalSwagger Thread Starter

Actually my pc runs on 160gb inbuilt HDD. I am attaching a new 500gb HDD to it. So it is not possible to insert it without powering off! else it won't get detected?

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Brand and model of the drive?

If it's a normal external drive which connects via USB, then yes, simply attach it as you would any other USB device. But that is not what you asked above " Can we insert a hard disk into PC ".

5. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

The normal boot order is SATA0 (zero), SATA1 (one), etc and you have to be careful about which port the drive is connected to. When I switched one of my data recovery PCs to use an M.2 SSD, I had to set the BIOS to boot from it first or it would merrily try to boot from the drive I needed to recover. Apparently, that 500GB drive is itself bootable and you might want to change its flag from active to inactive so it doesn't try to boot. Better would be to correct which ports the drives use.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1224656

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice