1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multiple IDE channels, Hardware interrupts, High CPU usage.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tuanezat, Aug 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuanezat

tuanezat Thread Starter

Hi, I'm new here and I'm not good about any of these so please be detail.
    My problem started when I installed a software that required me to use daemon tools. I did, eventhough I don't really know how it works (I just click and click). It is something about mounting and stuff. So I did, and the installation went okay.

After the next restart, windows started to find missing hardwares and asks me to install it, all 3 or 4 of them. I didn't at first, and realized my cpu usage gone to 50-60% without running anything. So I browsed forums, and it's not because of DMA reverted to PIO or stuff. I downloaded Process Explorer and noticed the hardware interrupts are the cause of this high cpu usage. I checked device manager, and found out that under the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, I have multiple channels. Before this, I only have 1 primary channel, 1 secondary channel and 1 standard dual channel PCI IDE controller but now I have 2 for each channel I stated. I suspect this is the problem, but I don't know how to deal with it, and I googled it, nothing similar ever came up.

I tried uninstalling, reinstalling and updating the drivers. Sometimes the hardware interrupts disappear and I don't know why, but the next restart will trigger the problem all over again.

I really don't know what to do and I hope someone could help me.

Thanks in advance.

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Daemon tools includes software to mount ISO files made from
    CD's or DVD's so there original disk doesn't have to be in
    the drive to use software like games.
    It probably installed drivers to interface with the virtual drive.
    You should be able to uninstall it from add/remove programs (XP)
    or programs and features (vista and windows 7) in start/control panel.
    What where you trying to do or install when this happened?

3. tuanezat

tuanezat Thread Starter

Do you mean uninstalling Daemon tools? I will give it a go later on.

I was installing photoshop cs3, using daemon tools to mount it and somehow i managed to get it done.
    After then only the problem arise, I will report back once I tried uninstalling Daemon tools.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/944746

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice