1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multiple IDE question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nitro237, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nitro237

nitro237 Thread Starter

I have 4 IDE devices installed in my computer . I need to add another but don't have another IDE connection available . Can I get a PCI IDE controller card and add ? Something like the Promise IDE controller card ? Thanks

2. iceyuk01

iceyuk01

Hi nitro.

There is a way to upgrade to more than 4 IDE devices, however it depends on your system and power supply. You don't say where you live, which would help, also information about your system. If you provide this info then I or somone else may be able to help.

I use an IDE controller card which is plugged into my expansion slots, however it is SLOW! it also takes a lot of resources from the computer.

What maybe a more viable route for you to go is to buy a BIG hard drive and after you partition it, copy your smaller HD's onto it. You may also find this cheaper in the long run.

Jason.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The Promise Ultra-133 TX2 will allow you to add more IDE devices, as well as support the fastest currently available IDE bus speeds. It also supports drives larger than 128gigs, the limitation on most motherboards. My experience with the Promise controller is exactly opposite of iceyuk01's add-on IDE experience. I don't know what controller he uses, but the Promise will not slow things down, and I see no measurable overhead due to the Promise controller.

I have my WD 200gig and a Maxtor 160gig connected to the Promise, and they run at full speed with no issues.

4. nitro237

nitro237 Thread Starter

I use this computer for business . It has 2 hard drives , a CDRW , and a DVD drive on the IDE slots now . Because of the work I do , I need to install a zip drive . I realize I could get an external zip drive , but I would much prefer an internal one if possible . That's why I need the extra IDE space .

Thanks guys !

5. JohnWill

One thing about the add-on IDE controllers like the Promise. You need to install the drivers for your O/S before moving the drives over to the new controller, or it won't find them when the O/S is in the middle of booting. :) Personally, I'd put the hard disks on something like the Promise controller, and the other stuff on the MB IDE connections.

6. nitro237

nitro237 Thread Starter

Thanks johnwill , I had a friend suggest the same thing , put the hard drives on the controller card . :cool:

7. Mahmud603

Mahmud603

I too have both my hard drives, 120 GB and 40 GB on the Promise ATA133 TX2 and have both of them running at UDMA 6 whereas on the motherboard controllers they ran at UDMA 3 & 4.

Connecting my CD\DVD and CD-RW on the Promise however only permitted PIO mode for them so they are on the motherboard.

Like johnwill, I have not noticed any drain on resources.

8. slipe

slipe

There isn’t any sense getting an ATA 133 card unless you have an ATA 133 Maxtor drive – they are about the only drives that are using that bus. And there isn’t a Maxtor ATA 133 drive that is as fast as a good Western Digital 8Mb buffer ATA 100 drive of the same size. There isn’t a drive on the market that is stressing ATA100, and everyone other than Maxtor intends bypassing ATA 133 altogether. What I’m suggesting is a cheaper ATA100 card.

Unless the bus on your motherboard is slower than your hard drives there isn’t much sense moving both drives to the card. I would move the storage drive and leave the boot drive on the primary IDE – it is just less hassle. I would make the current storage HD master on the card primary and the Zip master on the card secondary.

I have both of my hard drives on my controller card but I started fresh with a Windows install. My motherboard is only UDMA33 and the drives are both ATA 100, so I might get some speed increase on the card. But if you plan to keep your OS loaded on your boot drive it would be much simpler to leave it on the primary IDE. And there is no speed advantage unless your MB is very old like mine.

http://www.adc-ast.com/index.cgi?terms=CONTROLLER::EIDE::PCI&level=0&category=PCI&sort=undefined It is only about $10 less than the ATA 133, but it is a disposable item in any case. Your next computer will connect the HDs through serial ATA.

9. JohnWill

Since my AOpen MB came with an embedded Promise Ultra-133 TX2, and the other two I have came free with disk drive bundles, it couldn't be much cheaper to have the max performance model. :D Both of the disk drives came with big rebates, the WD 200gig was $199 with the Promise controller, it's still not that cheap without it! :D

10. nitro237

nitro237 Thread Starter

Thanks ! I appreciate all the input . You guys make these forums the best !!:D

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118561

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice