1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multiple IE shortcuts

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by librarytech, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. librarytech

librarytech Thread Starter

I'm not sure if this is possible, but is there a way to have more than one Internet Explorer icon on the desktop where each go to different homepages?

The problem I am having is that there is an IE shortcut that when opened it goes to the page I want, like Yahoo. But when the home button is clicked, it goes to the homepage of the original IE icon, like MSN. I want the MSN one to stay MSN and the Yahoo one to stay Yahoo when the home button is clicked.

Does that make sense?

The computer is running on Windows 2000 and IE 6.0

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

A shortcut is just that ..........the program stays the same.
    The simplest way I can come up with is to use 2 different browsers. Try downloading something like Mozilla and setting it's home page to the Yahoo page you want. You can even "tile" them and look at both at the same time if you want.

3. Moby

Moby

You would have to extract the internet explorer icon from the shell32.dll file in windows, system. Then it is just an icon that leads no where till you assign it to somewhere.
    HERE is a simple extraction tool which will allow you to browse to the windows system folder, view all icons in there (give it a while there's a few in there ;)), then save what you want where ever you want it as an icon (.ico) file. The internet explorer icon is in there, just check the box next to it and save. Then you can create a shortcut to whatever homepage you want on your desktop. Right click that icon, properties, change icon, then browse to wherever you put your copy of the 'blank' internet explorer icon.
    I've attached a bitmap (.bmp) of the icon if you're able to change that back to an icon (.ico) file

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. Moby

Moby

On second thoughts, forget all that :D :D :D
    just right click your homepage shortcut on the desktop, properties, change icon and browse to the windows, system, shell32.dll file, double click it, the icon's in there.
    :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170800

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice