1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multiple instances of Winoldap exhaust system resources

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Riverglen, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    I have a Windows 98SE machine that is running a very old data logging application (Earthqak) that I wrote many years ago. One of the functions of the program is to send data updates to a personal web page, at one hour intervals. It does so by shelling out to execute a small batch file that assembles the web page data update, and uploads it to the web page via FTP.

I recently had to transfer this set-up to a different machine, in place of the original machine, which finally died. Everything seemed normal running on the replacement machine for a couple of days, but then the machine crashed with a blue screen error message. On investigation, I determined from the task manager that the Earthqak application was still showing in the list of tasks, followed by about 60 instances of a program called Winoldap. Apparently when the Earthqak app spawns the batch file, Winoldap gets run, and doesn't terminate properly. After enough invocations of the batch file, the system runs out of resources and crashes. It is important to note that the exact same software set-up has run 24/7 for months on end on other Win-98 boxes with no problems whatsoever.

I did some Google research an learned that Winoldap is somehow involved in running 16-bit applications under Windows-98, but found no useful information regarding what exactly it does. The Earthqak application is 16-bit, but everything that is invoked from the web update batch file is 32-bit. I can turn off the web updating function with a control that is part of Earthqak, and if I do so, the problem goes away. The program will run indefinitely, and no instances of Winoldap show up in the task manager. Which is interesting, since Winoldap is alleged to be required for running 16-bit applications, but when the only application running is 16-bit, Winoldap doesn't run, or if it does, it must get terminated immediately following the launch of Earthqak.

I need some help in making sense of all this. Specifically:

What is Winoldap, and what is it's roll in executing 16-bit applications?

Why does Winoldap get invoked when the batch file runs, considering that the batch file makes no use of 16-bit applications? And why doesn't it terminate properly when the batch file finishes? (The operations performed by the batch file run fine, and the web page gets updated as expected.)

Any thoughts on how to diagnose this problem would be much appreciated.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

3. Riverglen

Riverglen Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    Thanks for the tip, and sorry for the delayed reply. It will take me a little time to figure out how to take advantage of the information in the link you provided. A couple of things are important in trying to make sense of this problem.

- It isn't clear that the batch script is not completing properly. The last command in the file is to perform an FTP upload to my web page, and that is being executed properly.

- I can't account for why Winoldap is being invoked, and have no idea what causes it to run. It is not directly called from the batch file. It really seems that the batch file is probably being run and terminates ok, but a new instance of Winoldap is left running indefinitely every time. The technique in your link reference may help clarify the point.

- The exact same software set-up has run on several other Win-98 systems. Nothing requires installation, and I keep the entire system on a USB stick, from which I can get the system going, normally with very little effort.

- The machine I am trying to get this set-up running on only has 128 MB of installed memory. Other machines that I have used probably had more. The first time I experienced the problem, I got a warning dialog that the machine was very low on resources. My understanding is that Win-98 allocates a fixed amount of memory for resource storage, independently of the overall size of the installed memory.

I will try adding the exit command to the batch file and see what the error return reveals.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235847

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice