1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multiple IPs through one broadband connection?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ScouserTommy, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ScouserTommy

ScouserTommy Thread Starter

I've ordered a router to set up a wireless network between 2 PC's. I want both of them to be able to connect to the internet under different IP's through the same broadband connection. Is there any way of doing this without buying static IP's, i.e. can it be done through dynamic IP addressing? Thanks for any help.

2. Rockn

Rockn

Yes and Yes!! If you have a router that uses NAT or port forwarding that is what you are doing.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

They'll share the same public IP address, but that fact will be invisible to you for normal Internet access. You'll have to do some tinkering to use some multi-player games on multiple systems behind a router...

4. ScouserTommy

I suspected they would share the same public IP...this is not what I want. I need both PC's to appear on the internet with different IPs so that I can download poker software to both PC's. It won't allow this to happen if they share the same IP. Is there any way round this without buying static IPs? I appreciate your help guys.

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

If your ISP gives you more than one dynamic IP address, buy a switch and hook up your modem and computers to the switch. This is not the most secure solution.

6. JohnWill

You need multiple IP addresses from your ISP as stated. There is no way to get multiple public IP addresses without the ISP helping out. :)

7. ScouserTommy

ok, i'm going to be changing ISP's soon anyway...i wasn't going to go down the static IP route but it looks like i have to. i think i can get up to 16 static IP's (with justification they say). so if they provide me with 2 static IPs i should be able to do this. i'm a bit concerned that its not a secure solution though...will people be able to tap into my network? again, thanks for the help.

8. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I think you are confusing Static and Dynamic Ip addresses. You usually have to pay for a Static IP address from your ISP. I have Road Runner and they will allow me to have 4 Dynamic IP addresses.

9. ScouserTommy

perhaps....my understanding of it is that if you have a static IP then it is the same every time you connect to the internet, whereas connecting dynamically you will be assigned a different IP every time you connect. from what i've gathered so far...in order for my 2 PC's to have different IP's whilst on the net at the same time i should assign each of them with a static IP. the ISP i'm looking at is Plusnet (UK) and they assign static IP's as standard.

10. JohnWill

Look into DynDNS to solve the problem of always having a URL to find your dynamic IP address. It's a lot cheaper than paying a monthly charge for a static IP address.

11. ScouserTommy

thanks johnwill...i'll look into that.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274640

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice