1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multiple issues please help!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Shadesterz, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shadesterz

Shadesterz Thread Starter

Ok so my computer was running just fine with no issues other than the "run.dll" error at startup which didn't affect performance. The power cord shorted out and I didnt use the computer for aprox. 6 months when I purchased a generic Power adapter. Now these are the problems that I have been trying to fix for ages with no luck :(

1. On startup from Shut down only (usually I keep it in hibernate 90% of the time) after password prompt the screen goes completely white for anywhere from 2 - 5 minutes (sometimes longer) before loading the desktop.

2. Random Crashes usually when on the internet (dreaded blue screen)

3. ***Moderate performance speed offline, Slow performance speed online. (I used to be able to watch youtube and play games like farmville and it all runs so slow now that youtube even after loaded is glitchy like a photo slide show instead of a flowing movie and farmville + other games play at an extremely slow speed.)

4. Battery info says "Plugged in not charging" yet it mysteriously charges after time without ever showing you that it's charging.

5. if power cord is disconnected and reconnected error message "the adapter is not compatable please attach dell 90w adapter blah blah blah" pops up.

*** the speed issue on my computer stops when I disconnect from the adapter (sometimes) like today all the games and everything ran smooth and super fast then the power cord came loose and it started running slow again when I connected it back into the computer and whenever I disconnected it after that it ran fast again. But it WAS running fast when connected it's confusing :(

What I've tried:
    Webroot antivirus
    Spyware docter
    AVG
    Adaware
    Advance System Care (reg cleaner)
    CCleaner (reg cleaner)
    Malware Bytes
    defragmenting
    disk cleaning
    system restores
    Removed all files like pics/music and stored on external hard drive
    removed all games like zoo tycoon
    removed any unnecessary programs/files

And still! Nothing! idk what more to do and i've done a lot. Please share your advice.

Oh btw: Computer is Dell Inspiron 1721 running Vista Home

2. kenny111111

kenny111111

try this, start>type msconfig>enter> starup tab>disable all>apply>exit and restart....
    post back with results.

3. Shadesterz

Ok did it and restarted, shutdown was quicker than normal and restart seemed quicker until it got to login. after I logged in I still got the white screen but it was up for about 4 minutes. after 2 minutes Spyware doctor popped up asking for inteli scan and usually it pops up and then the desktop loads but after it dissapeared the white screen remained for another 2 min before desktop loaded. No "run.dll" error anymore firefox opened much faster but now the application that allows my laptop to scroll with the touch pad isn't open so I have to manual scroll on web pages =/ what could be causing the white screen at startup?

4. kenny111111

kenny111111

download revo uninstaller and get rid of spyware doctor...open revo and uninstall in advanced mode (follow instructions) http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html just download the free one !!
    how many antivirus programs do you have?
    did the pc/laptop come with a free trial version of an antivirus program?
    have you ever updated any drivers, and if so witch ones?

5. Shadesterz

Ok i'll try this and post the results soon.

as for antivirus I have Webroot antivirus which was recently installed (after problems) to try and fix up my computer I also have spyware doctor and I THINK I still have adaware free but i'm pretty sure I uninstalled it along with avg when I installed webroot. I also have ccleaner and Advance system care 4.

I think my computer came with a free trial of norton but I had something else at the time so i uninstalled it and the problems didn't surface until recently (i've had the laptop since sept. 2008)

I've installed drivers in the past for different software like cell phones and cameras but the only updates i've done are the ones the computer requests to do.

my computer was fine before my charger broke. Almost all these problems literally surfaced after the battery was completely drained and then the computer sat for like 6 months before I got the new charger and now it's like this.

6. Shadesterz

ok did it and even removed the password prompt for login. still have the white screen but advance system care says I have an "a" in performance =/ firefox is opening much faster than before but far from instant. gone from taking aprox 1 min to open to about 20-30 sec Internet still performing at moderate speed and I know it can go faster because my friend brought her laptop over and everything was instant, games played fast, pages loaded quickly, no issues so it's something with my laptop but idk what :( someone on another site suggested I restore factory defaults but idk if that would do more harm than good or where I would start on even doing that. everyone else is giving me various ways to clean out the registry but i've basically done that already so I'm still at a loss :(

7. kenny111111

kenny111111

returning to factory settings would be the quickest/easiest way to get sorted...what is the laptop (make and model)? backup anything you want to keep..
    or continue down the path of trying to get it sorted out.. http://majorgeeks.com/Norton_Removal_Tool_SymNRT_d4749.html , download and run the norton removal tool.. it will remove the leftover traces that norton leaves behind..

start>type device manager>enter, click the + signs and see if there are any red/yellow warning signs...

good luck

8. Shadesterz

I think factory restore would be a good option for me then I have disks for the computer but no idea what ones to use it came with multiple disks um the laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1721 and under device manager there is 1 yellow warning sign under : AYP6GNPP IDE Controller

9. kenny111111

kenny111111

try the second one down (its for a dell) should be very easy and painless... http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f108/laptop-recovery-instructions-162525.html
    make sure you have what data you want off of it first though, you will lose everything..
    the controller driver probably needs replaced, if you choose not to do a factory reset...right click on the controller with the yellow mark and choose update driver software. see if it will repair it automatically..

let us know what you decide..

10. Shadesterz

I think im going to try factory restore. I'll post when done it may take a bit to back everything up I'm worried I wont be able to use my tablet anymore because I can't find the disk for it :(

11. Shadesterz

Ok did factory restore and things seem perfect although now there's all this crap that's on there in the beginning that I dont want. Should I use revo to uninstall all of it? it's mostly the google desktop and norton, it just seems like a lot of stuff because it wont leave me alone. Now I heard that I would need to install all the updates not sure if I should just wait for a prompt or go ahead with it. I'm also installing firefox because IE seems to be real glitchy and freezy and always has been like that on my computers. Is there anything else I should do to get it all set? i'm going to try and keep most files on my external hard drive and only install the basics that I need.

12. kenny111111

kenny111111

I would recommend uninstalling any unwanted programs with revo (in advanced mode), and uninstall norton with there removal tool....
    I would download and use superantispyware, Malewarebytes and microsoft security essentials , these are all free and very user friendly...

hope your happy!

ps, I don't use IE either...as for updates, you can check for and install them or let windows manage that..best of luck

13. Shadesterz

thanks. installed recommended programs still doing updates but internet is still running slow i think it has to do with the charger and battery everything else runs great

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/996888

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice