1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multiple issues...seriously need help!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by secci, Jul 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. secci

secci Thread Starter

Let's see where to start.....apparently had a crash today....attempted to donwload SVP2, my computer was sluggish and then rebooted automatically....Sent an error report and got an online crash page. No real help there. My other problem is WMP..i recently recieved a XM satellite radio and installed napster...windows media player does not play my downloadef files...needs codec...i have tried muptiple time to fix the codec problem.....i also just recently (today after crash) recieved an temporary memory/low memory diaolouge box.....:confused:
    PLEASE HELP......

2. secci

secci Thread Starter

bump

3. Jbasto

Jbasto

On the codec what codec u need in the first place u can allways use K-Lite Codec Pack works like a charm (y)

4. ODIN 0ERO

ODIN 0ERO Guest

use the K-LITE CODEC PACK for your media player.

works great.

it has all the codecs you will need.

do you have the original WINDOWS CD?

5. secci

secci Thread Starter

Thanks for your response...i did the lite and the microsft codec packs the klite recommended...but still cant use my WMP..i am looking for the original windows disc...

6. secci

secci Thread Starter

the classic player that comes wth the k lite wont play any fies that i have purchased and downloaded from my napste account....:confused:

7. ODIN 0ERO

ODIN 0ERO Guest

did you find the original windows cd?

if you dont have it....you have an illegal copy on your PC

if you have/had the original WINDOWS CD you could repair.

or reinstall your WINDOWS.

that would very probably fix most of your WINDOWS problems you might have.

8. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

What kind of computer do you have? If it has a recovery partition and you have the manual it should tell you in the manual how to make a recovery cd or dvd. If not contact the manufacturer and get a legal install software from them. You will need it.

9. secci

secci Thread Starter

Ok i found the XP cd...so i am transferring files...and hopefully reinstalling XP...i did ntot see repair as an option...is there somewhre i should be lookin for this?

10. ODIN 0ERO

ODIN 0ERO Guest

XP Repair install

Please read carefully and make sure you followed the warning links before initiating the Repair Install. You can print a text version for reference. repair.txt

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
    2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
    Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
    3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
    4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
    5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup. After the reboot read Warning#2!
    6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

11. secci

secci Thread Starter

I did the windows repair...got the updates...svp2 now it is locked up and i cant get past my user id screen!!!! arghhhhh!!!!!

12. ODIN 0ERO

ODIN 0ERO Guest

if you made your DATA BACKUP....

and if you dont have realy important files on your HDD....

format the HDD and install XP again.

do not repair this time.

13. secci

secci Thread Starter

i did not back all my critical data...stupid i know...but nonetheless it is done...what can i do now???

14. ODIN 0ERO

ODIN 0ERO Guest

do you have anything important on your HDD?

if you do...remove the HDD connect it to a another PC if you can.

scan for VIRUSES firstly after HDD transfer.

maybe your friend has a PC.

and then transfer all important DATA onto a CD or some other medium...

if you dont have anything of REAL significance..........

use the XP CD and delete the partition and install XP again.

15. secci

secci Thread Starter

I got it...what happened was i lost my mouse and keyborad (both wireless)..but was able to use anoher keyboard/mouse so i could reinstall....and windows has been repaired ...my WMP works and ofcourse so does my napster!!!!! Goal accomplished...Thanks so very mcuh for your time and effort.

blessings,
    Michele

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/481173

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice