1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multiple issues! wth?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Silentpork18, Mar 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Silentpork18

Silentpork18 Thread Starter

(Hope i have posted in right section)
    Ok, so i just bought a computer from my friend (running vista ultimate), and put some new ram into it (Its all the same make of ram but ram was second hand) to go along with the existing ram, it was working fine for a good few days now it has started to BSOD every now and again and somtimes says no audio device installed when i log back in i system resore (which it says doesnt work but brings back my sound) only to have to do it again after it BSOD's

Then i shut down the computer and turned it back on this morning like normal and now it only brings up a temporary profile and thats everytime i restart the computer, if i try to play games or watch videos or listen to music i am getting this stuttering problem where the sound goes jittery and the game im playing freezes and comes back on in a second or two even though it should be running them no problem.

also it wont allow windows updates. "Windows cant check for updates"

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ 3.01 GHz

RAM : 5.00GB Crosair

System type: 32-bit Operating System

I know a bit about computers but im no expert so i dont know what info will help or not.

Thanks in advance for anyone that would like to help! :)

2. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    I am assuming this computer was working perfectly fine before the new addition of ram? I would try removing the new ram, and just run with the ram you had before, and see if you receive the same problems.

3. Silentpork18

Ok well i took the ram out but im still left with the issue of it booting up a temp profile :/

Would reformatting be a solution?

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    When you buy or inherit a computer that still contains the "debris" and problems from its previous owner, doing a clean reinstall of Windows and getting a fresh start with it is the best option.

What's the brand name, model name, and model number of that computer?

-----------------------------------------------------------

5. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    I second what flavallee is saying. When getting a computer from someone else, you never know what problems there are with it, as they might not tell you everything. A clean install would prevent this, assuming there aren't any hardware problems.

6. Silentpork18

Ok well how do i reinstall windows without the original disc? i only have the tower and monitor from the guy.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Please answer the question in post #4.

-------------------------------------------------------

8. Silentpork18

Well its a computer he build so i dont know the model name or number?? or brand i dont even know how to find out lol

9. Silentpork18

All i know is that its vista ultimate and its got a nvidiaGTX 275 graphics card all the other info i put in the first post.

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If it's a home-built computer, it won't have a brand name/model name/model number and it won't have a Microsoft Certificate-Of-Authenticity sticker on the case.

Since you say you just bought that computer from your friend, you should get with him to deal with the issue.

A clean reinstall of Windows is needed, but it may also have a hardware issue.

-----------------------------------------------------------

11. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Flavallee, couldn't you just write down the product key of the current OS. Then, download a copy of windows and then use the old product key, since it won't be in use anymore?

The only problem I see with that is that there isn't a "legal" way of downloading windows, I think.

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    It's unknown if his friend legally installed Windows Vista Ultimate in that computer and has a legal product key for it.

Since it's a home-built computer, there won't be a Microsoft COA sticker with the product key on the case.

I'm not going to make any comments about downloading Windows.

------------------------------------------------------------

13. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    I know. But all they would have to do is check the computer properties to see if windows was activated. If it was, then they could get a program that can extract the product key, but I'm assuming those go against the rules (not sure why though).

14. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Maybe that would violate the passwords section of the rules? I don't know.

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    It's probably best if he works it out with the friend that he bought the computer from.

--------------------------------------------------------

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1094041

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice