1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multiple Issues

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 81lly, Nov 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 81lly

81lly Thread Starter

I have recently come across a few problems that I have yet to figure out how to fix....

1) When a folder is open, I should be able to single click an image icon and see a thumbnail preview of it on the left side....but no longer. Where can I fix this?

2) All the icons in my system tray have completely disappeared, the programs are running properly (except paperport [my scanner software] which is not for some reason), but I can't seem to bring the icons back. And no, they are not hidden.....they just don't load up.

Can anyone help?

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    1) Make sure the Details section is expanded (arrows pointing up). Though I have noticed some files wont do that. You may want to change your view in your folder to thumbnails (View menu > Thumbnail)

2) The only thing that I can think of is that they are hidden. If there is an arrow pointed to the left ( < ) next to the clock, click that. That should show your icons.

3. 81lly

81lly Thread Starter

1) When the folder is open, I have an area on the left side that, when a file is clicked, gives extended details. This area also used to show a thumbnail preview of the file if it was a picture. Also, when the files are sorted as thumbnails (In regards to pictures of any sort, may they be, jpg, gif, bmp, psd) all it shows is their respective icon for the file extension. How do I fix this?

2) I have no arrow. Its as if there are no icons that should be loaded (but in reality, there are about 7). Where did they go? How do I get them back?

4. Joanyoung

Joanyoung

try this

Open your picture folder/ tools/ folder options

General tab

Make sure show common tasks in folders is the one checked, then click
    apply OK

joan

5. Papermoon

Papermoon

2) It is possible the programs the missing icons represent have been removed from start up. The programs would still function when opened, but there would not be an icon in the system tray. Go to start/run and type msconfig. Check the start up tab to see if the programs are listed, or not.
    Myself, if the programs are running just fine, I would leave them out of the start up.

6. 81lly

81lly Thread Starter

Joan...."common tasks in folders is the one checked" - I don't see that at all

Papermoon....Windows can't seem to find msconfig anywhere after I type it into run.

7. Papermoon

Papermoon

If you have your operating system disc, put it in the drive, click start/run sfc /scannow. That may help find some of the functions that are missing :)

8. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

9. 81lly

81lly Thread Starter

Yep, same machine lol

10. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

I'll leave this thread open but I think your problems will be solved in the other thread.

11. 81lly

81lly Thread Starter

I'm sure Issue number 2 will be solved, but what about my first issue? That one started months ago, but issue 2 crept up about 2 or 3 days ago.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/516699

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice