1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

multiple kits of ram

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by i_am_griffo, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i_am_griffo

i_am_griffo Thread Starter

Hey guys,
    Im building a new system. I have purchased the G1 sniper 3 mobo and G skill 2x 8gb ram kit. My intention was to later on get another 2 x 8gb kits and fill the spare slots. Was looking on the G skill website and it says that ram kits should never be used with an additional kit even if they have the same part number. Is this correct?
    I had looked into this before purchasing and my understanding was that as long as there the same they should be compatable. I realize that you might say 32gb is overkill anyway but will want it to run CAD applications in the future and figure the ability too add more could be handy.

ps. In case you were wondering, I could have built a workstation but it is my private computer and want it to play games well too(y)

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

No matter how much you add, your machine will most likely use less than 3 GB's of RAM. Extra RAM can be put to use with RAMdisks or virtual machines, but other than that, lies idle and slows down everything. There really is such a thing as too much. Watch your RAM usage (or set up a monitor to log the usage every hour or so over a month) and you'll see what I mean.

I have no ideas what they mean about kits not being used together. It seems that they should be fine if the machine can support them. Do they sell larger kits that they would rather sell you and that is the reason they don't want people to make their own packages or something?

3. i_am_griffo

i_am_griffo Thread Starter

,I didn't think there would be an issue probably are just trying to sell the 32 gb straight up. Once I have the 16gb in I'll bring a traverse project home from work run it and see how the ram usage goes. Thanks for the advice

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1057792

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice