1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multiple machines on wireless router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by qmms, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. qmms

qmms Thread Starter

I have 2 desk units hardwired to a belkin wireless router that is connected to comcast cable. I want to assign each machine a unique IP address so that they can each be accessed from outside via the internet. One will actually have a domain name assigned to a specific program.

How do I do this?
    Thanks in advance

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi qmms, and welcome to TSG.

In order to do exactly what you have described (two PCs each with unique IP addresses on the Internet), you will probably first need have Comcast modify your service plan to include at least two static public IP addresses. I suspect you may be in for a bit of sticker shock if you currently have their more typical service with a single dynamic public IP address. You will also need to find and pay a registrar if you are creating your own domain name.

There may be less costly alternatives that use port forwarding for a single public IP address. There are free or low cost Dynamic Name Server services that will automatically track and update a unique domain name to a dynamic public IP address.

3. qmms

qmms Thread Starter

I do have a single static ip address as well as a domain name through Godaddy. In the past I have had the same setup that was installed by the computer consultant. He is no longer avalaible and it only took him about 10 mins to set it up. I think it is fairly simple to do Just need the instructions
    Thanks
    QMMS

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Perhaps you could be specific as to your requirements and the EXACT applications. You can run multiple applications through a single static IP address with the correct procedure.

If you have two web servers, for instance, you can map port 80 incoming to a different port so it can be directed to the proper server. This is normally accomplished by port translation through a service like DynDNS or perhaps your domain name provider, depending on the level of service you have.

5. qmms

qmms Thread Starter

I am setting up a Web based pacs program so that someone can go to XXXX.com and be on the program that is on the machine. It is setup and listening to port xxxx, however, I need to have the IP address set to this one machine so that people from outside my building can access the machine and view their medical images.

I know it can be done I have see it at other places
    Thanks for your help

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/602635

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice