1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multiple Mirror Raids?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guldan, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Guldan

Guldan Thread Starter

I'm looking at buying a server for my company, it needs 3 seperate raid mirrors.. OS / DATA / APPS.

As long as there are 6 SATA ports can this be done on one controller?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Most should allow this. Also be sure to buy a quality RAID controller, and check the specs to make sure it will allow multiple arrays, and not rely on the motherboards RAID controller - the reason being if the server goes down you can easily move the arrays to another computer with the drives and the arrays and data will remain intact and likely even boot. You can't do that with onboard controllers and the performance and feature set is generally better with an add-on RAID controller even with server boards.

Also do you really need 3 separate RAID-1 arrays?

And I assume you will still have a true backup solution.

3. Guldan

Guldan Thread Starter

Well it's for a client so I give him what he wants, I think the setup is for a digital camera system. They just asked me to get a price on a system with certain specs basically.

I found a good Proliant HP server but was curious if it had the capabilities he wanted.

Appreciate the reply

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    HP is really good with answering questions before buying, do a chat or give them a call about any system they have.

Also sometimes its good to tell the customer they they may need something different or give them additional advice - most customers don't know what they really want and what they should be doing.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913884

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice