1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multiple monitors and disappearing icons

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Shralla, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shralla

Shralla Thread Starter

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and I use a 22" LG monitor at 1680x1050 for my primary display. My secondary display is my old 17" ViewSonic CRT, which, while obviously not awesome, has been working pretty well for me.

I've had a couple issues with both Vista and 7 moving my icons around occasionally, so I wasn't terribly surprised to boot my computer up yesterday to find the three icons on my desktop (recycle bin, a picture, and a folder) moved somewhere towards the middle of my primary display. What DID surprise me was that my second monitor had been changed to its native resolution of 1024x768, a display mode which makes everything rather large in comparison to my main monitor, so I usually have it set at 1152x864.

The thing is I didn't notice the resolution change until I had switched my main monitor over to HDMI so I could use my Xbox 360, as I was moving my useful windows to my second monitor so I could use them while I played. Because of that, I had moved my desktop icons back to their usual place in the top left of my main monitor. At that point though, I was already doing Xbox stuff, so I said "eh, whatever."

So today I boot up my computer to find that the second monitor's resolution has been changed back to what I had originally set it at, and my recycle bin and the image file were missing, however the folder was in pretty much the same place it had been after I moved it back. Of course I checked the resolutions, and changing the second monitor's resolution back to 1024x768 made them reappear.

That may sound as though the problem is fixed, but that's really when it started. No matter where I move the Recycle Bin and that image file on the desktop of EITHER of my monitors, when I change the second monitor back to 1152x864, they just disappear again, but the folder stays put just like before. If I click the folder, and then hit "R" to theoretically highlight the Recycle Bin, when I hit enter, it opens! Same with the image file. So obviously the icons are THERE somewhere, but regardless of where I put them, those two icons always disappear when I put the resolution back, while the folder stays where it is.

Halp.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976040

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice