1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multiple Monitors Win XP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mjbyyz, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mjbyyz

mjbyyz Thread Starter

Having trouble keeping a secondary monitor 'alive' after it comes on, then dies when Windows starts up.
    Have done a trouble shoot but cannot access a number of the categories, supposedly in Control Panel, which come up in the troubleshooter. ie: the double screen window doesn't show under 'Display' options.
    The machine I'm having this problem with is using Windows XP Home edition.
    This machine I'm using right now has Windows XP Professional edition and this dialog window shows under 'Display'.
    [Whether it will actually support a second monitor or not, I'm not sure! Haven't tried this one yet.]

Further info - the problem m/c does have a dual video card, and the secondary monitor works initially, but as soon as the Welcome screen comes on, it dies. Maddening!

Any one have any ideas?

mjbyyz (John B). 100426-22:59EDT

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    What is the make and model of the graphics card you are using?
    Does it have two DVI outputs, 1 DVI and 1 VGA?

What make, model and size of monitors are you using? Do they have VGA or DVI inputs?

3. mjbyyz

mjbyyz Thread Starter

Tanis: Thanks for your reply.
    I don't have the make and model number of the card readily to hand (but could dig it out if necessary).

As to the outputs - there are two, and interchangeable - at least I switched the monitors around and the same output gives the same results on either monitor. (I'm not up on DVI etc, but it's a fairly recent card, and the output I've been using for a single monitor gives good resolution. The other output does so too, until it dies as the Win Welcome screen appears.)

mjbyyz - John B - 100428-00:30EDT

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi, we are on different timezones so may have a bit of gap between replies haha.

DVI outputs will be white coloured sockets on the graphics card, VGA are blue and a bit smaller.

The reason I asked is because I have come across a similar problem on some PC's at work and I have no idea why it happens. My work machines have ATI x1600 graphics cards with two DVI outputs on them. If I connect 2 20" HP LP2065 monitors to the machine I get exactly the same as you, both work during POST but as soon as Windows starts to load one of them switches off. If I switch the monitors over I get the same result, one output works and the other goes off (always the same one working and same one going off).

If I connect 1x 20" and 1x19" (to the socket that switches off) it will boot up fine and work in dual screen. Drivers are all up to date, all hardware / cables are confirmed in good working order, it just won't run dual screen with 2x 20" monitors!

5. mjbyyz

mjbyyz Thread Starter

Tanis, that is v interesting, even if a bit mind boggling! The two monitors I have connected up are a 17in flat screen and an older 14/15in CRT. Switching always favours the No 1 'port', just like you said, irregardless! (love that word!)

The card seems to be a 2000 'matron' (weird graphic lettering - hard to read) 971-0302 rev A - G45+MDHA16D0E6F - PBC 82246, and P/N and R/O numbers.
    Both ports are BLUE and have 'Astron' stamped on them - again, weird graphic style printing (I wish they wouldn't do that). This particular card has a heat sink about 3cm square on it.

I will try hooking up other CRT secondary monitors - after all, this is the main reason I am doing this, to test and chuck old monitors (reluctantly, but no one seems to want the old CRT ones any more), and keeping only the best one as a standby.

Yes, I'm on Eastern Daylight Time here in Ontario, and I often experience these delays. The only way around it is to get on-line in the afternoon for me, and then I can get you guys over 'ome.

mjbyyz (John B) - 100428-21:13EDT

6. mjbyyz

mjbyyz Thread Starter

Tanis: Up-date!
    Have been fiddling around with settings all evening and have finally got the second monitor configured properly, at last. It was a combination of settings that were wrong.
    Before I managed this though, I switched to another 17in monitor, albeit a CRT type. Now I have to try all the smaller ones and another 17in and see if they 'take' or not. I don't see why not, except remembering what you said that you experienced.

I've also got the CD-ROMs to work properly - merely a jumper change!

I'm fielding one more problem with this computer - see No Sound under Hardware if you can help.

Cheers, mjbyyz(John B) - 100429-01:15EDT

7. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Glad you got it sorted. Not sure how valuable my input was :) but you got there in the end.

You graphics card is a Matrox G450 ATX Dual VGA 16MB AGP Video Card

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/alan-fm_2100_24527738

The outputs on it are VGA ones by the sounds of it.

As for the sound, you say you see no sound device under Device Manager?
    If it is an onboard soundcard (i.e. physically part of the motherboard) it could be turned off in the BIOS, this may be the case if a previous user of the machine had an add-on soundcard installed.

8. mjbyyz

mjbyyz Thread Starter

Tanis:
    Yes, the website shows exactly the one I have - thank you. And this is now solved (thanks largely to you).

And yes, I was advised somewhere that probably the BIOS has been turned off (the Sound Device, I mean) and "all I have to do" is turn it on again!
    HOW do I get into the BIOS to do this? I am more than a bit rusty on doing this sort of thing anymore.

mjbyyz(John B) - 100429-22:37EDT

9. catlady13

catlady13

To get into the bios you have to tap a key as soon as the computer starts up. A lot of motherboards use the del key but branded computers often use a different key such as the f1 or f10 key. If you give us the make and model if a branded computer or the motherboard make and model someone could look that up for you or you could just try the most commone ones by trial and error. Sometimes it will come up on the screen as you boot up... as in del for whatever term your motherboard uses for the setup. Or f1 for set up or some such thing.

10. mjbyyz

mjbyyz Thread Starter

Thanks, catlady13 (love that 13!):
    Yes, I know how to get into setup, and have searched through that (just now actually) but find almost nothing referring to AUDIO. I had hoped to find a simple "Do you want the **** thing ON or OFF" but no, it's never that simple!
    There is also the F8 key - I haven't tried tinkering with that yet.
    mjbyyz(John B) - 100430-12:05EDT

11. catlady13

catlady13

Hehe .. and no I don't have 13 cats. I get asked that a lot. With one of my computers it is under integrated peripherals.. and says auto or disabled. Sometimes you have to click on a category to get a sub category. If you can give me the motherboard make and model I can probably find a manual and look it up for you. If it is a branded computer I would need the make and model of the computer not the motherboard.
    F8 USUALLY gets you into safe mode not the bios Though my best friend had a computer where it didn't. There are exceptions to everything. But if you get me that info I will do my best to find the mobo manual for you.

12. mjbyyz

mjbyyz Thread Starter

My comment on 13 is the fact that I have always considered that number to be My Lucky Number - and my daughter and husband like/use it too.
    Thanks for your suggestions. If I can find the m/b number, I'll let you know, but I did try under integrated peripherals, and am sure it said 'auto', because I searched through anything and everything to try and 'turn it on'.
    Having said that, Device Manager just plain can't find the 'hardware' in there. Does it have to be 'turned on' to be recognised even? But in my case, I don't have a separate card since all the audio stuff goes into and out of the m/b direct, so it's got to be in there - and they don't go 'wrong' v often as far as I know.
    If my memory serves me correctly (joke!) this computer did 'make noise' some time down the road, but has only been used periodically recently, and is now silent. (I'm not sure if the internal speaker even beeps come to think of it!!!!!)
    I'll let you know if I find that m/b number.
    Thanks again.
    John B(mjbyyz)
    100502-22:09EDT

13. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Sorry ive not been responding, been a bit of a hectic weekend to say the least.

I see catlady13 is helping you out nicely anyway, but I will just respond to a couple of points in your last post.

Yes, the Audio device must be turned on in the BIOS for Windows to detect it. If Windows isn't seeing the device at all the most likely causes are 1) It is turned off in the BIOS or 2) it is faulty.

As has been said and you are looking into, the next step is to give us the motherboard make and model (if it is a self built machine) or the PC make and model if it is a pre-built machine like a HP, Dell etc.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919482

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice