multiple net.exe in task manager

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

my_computerguy

I was working on a computer that was extremely slow. It's an older Dell, Win XP SP2, Celeron, only 128 MB RAM. When I opened task manager there were several net.exe and net1.exe processes running. I would end a process and a new one would take its place. I scanned for spyware and viruses. The spyware that was found was cleaned. There were no viruses. When I ran in Safe Mode there were no problems. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks.

While net.exe is the name of a Windows process related to networking, it is also part of a nasty bit of malware that is used for spamming emails. I strongly suggest that you go to the security section of this forum, read the stickies, and post a detailed explanation of your situation using net.exe in the title. A malware expert will help you through the process.

Try downloading windows defender from the microsoft website. It's free because youve already paid for windows, right?

Are your definitions up to date?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online