1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multiple network devices

Discussion in 'Networking' started by trev.h, Oct 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trev.h

trev.h Thread Starter

I have 2 x 24 port hubs uplinked to each other. I wish to introduce a switch.

How can I do this with the uplink ports on the hubs reserved.

Trev.

2. Sponsor

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, a simple crossover cable would do the trick. Also, it depends on where you introduce the switch, and it's capability. If it has an uplink port, just plug it into any of the standard ports on the hub.

4. trev.h

trev.h Thread Starter

The switch would be stached with the hubs.

I didn't realise the uplink would work OK in a standard port, I thought you could only go uplink to uplink.

Why a crossover cable and not a patch cable? When I uplink to uplink I used a patch cable.

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

The difference between a normal port and an uplink port is the same as the difference between a normal patch and a crossover cable.

6. trev.h

trev.h Thread Starter

I understand. Thanks

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Normally, using a standard patch cable, you run the Uplink port to a normal port, so I'm not sure what you have there...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/174052