1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multiple partitions?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ahstanford, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ahstanford

ahstanford Thread Starter

I recently purchased an Asus Desktop PC with Win7 and I've realized that the computer came with two partitions - Drive C and Drive D.

Drive C - 372GB with all of Windows and my data stored on it.
    Drive D - 550GB and is nearly empty.

I am wondering what the reasoning for this is, what the benefit is, if I should keep it and how it should be used?

If anyone can shed some light on this for me, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
    Alex

2. Megabite

Megabite

These partitions are on only one Hard drive or 2 hard drives?

3. ahstanford

ahstanford Thread Starter

Just one.

4. Megabite

Megabite

Well you can put data like pictures and music and whatever you want on the D partition.........some people like to separate it from the Main partition

As for safety it would be a good idea to get another Hard drive and use it as backup.....as at the moment if that Hard drive you have has a problem or just dies you have lost everything

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915124

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice