1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multiple problems - are they related to one cause?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lastactionhero, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lastactionhero

lastactionhero Thread Starter

First - Specs on my system:
    ~O/S Windows XP Pro SP 3 (build 2600) (it came installed on the computer and I don't have a back up CD for this or any other Microsoft Programs on this computer - purchased used from a computer tech guy).
    ~Dell Optiplex GX260 Mini-Tower (though it looks like a regular tower - bot used from computer tech shop - could have been 'repackaged' to a new tower)
    ~Bios: A00
    ~Memory: 1.5G - in two slots (DIMM - A 512 MB, DIMM - B 1024 MB)
    ~Drives: C NTFS - 39.99 GB D FAT32 100.0 GB F FAT32 6.42 GB I FAT32 999.96 GB (external HD back up)
    ~D Drive listed above was a drive from a previous computer (had a windows install on it - but that was removed by tech when they put it in the new 'used' machine) (this is the drive that the blue screen comes up and says it needs to be checked).
    ~Processor Speed 2.25 Ghz - 8 kilobyte primary memory cache 512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    ~Magic Jack is installed on this computer - installed about the middle of November last year.
    ~All Drives tested 'healthy' on the last scan I did with Belarc Advisor as of today.
    ~Computer is protected by a heavy duty surge protector/UPS device. On a modem w/2 other computers on home network.

My computer started about August of last year to 'go to blue screen' upon rebooting - where it would give me the opportunity to run the disk check - or not - I could stop it and just boot up normally if I hit any key. It didn't do it all the time - just when it shut down 'unexpectedly' - either because of a power problem or when Windows would do automatic updates and restart the computer overnight.

Recently - the computer has been slow, and have had more difficulty with it going to blue screen ALL the time when I reboot - but it always comes up and works fine - except that now - I have to wait for it to do the disk check - as when I strike a key to stop it - it doesn't recognize it.

Another problem - I recently downloaded a new security program - BitDefender Internet Security 2010 - and installed it - but forgot to uninstall the AVG Free and PC Tools I was using before I did that - so I uninstalled them, rebooted (which takes a long time now) and finally got it working after having to use the 'repair' installation feature in the Bitdefender software. After I did this, however, I find that I no longer have Microsoft Excel or Word installed on my computer - and I don't have any CD with that software on it - as it came installed from the previous user I presume.

So - I can't access any of my data files for any of those programs (on my computer) - but I can from another computer on the network but thats not the point - I need to be able to access them on my computer.

Regarding the 'blue screen' and the disk check message - it is only says it needs to check the D Drive for errors - never any other drive. I am wondering - is it possible that the drive is going bad? If so - how do I safely remove that drive from the computer (after copying all the data (about 40GB) to my external drive which is 1TB) so that I can see if that helps.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I put my skill level on the profile as intermediate - as I am able to remove memory, power supplies, floppy drives etc. - however, I am not real proficient at knowing 'how' to do stuff - or where to find things - but can follow directions well and then can intuit from there - its just getting pointed in the right direction that sometimes stumps me.

We're dependent on our computers for work - and we're down to 1 for sure working computer (which I'm working from now) and my computer - which is limping along.

I've scanned with Bitdefender to make sure there aren't virus' causing problems - but I've always been careful to use 2 or 3 things to check and re-check to make sure, so am just wondering what the deal is - I'm desperate cause I can't afford a new computer (or two) right now - and so I need to at least get mine up and running so I don't have to wait 20 minutes everytime I shut it down to get it to boot back up.

I also have an E-machine that just hangs at the logo screen that I can't even get to the point of hitting the 'safe mode' key or set up key or enter bios or whatever - but thats for another time.

Thanks much for whatever help can be offered - and remember - tell me where to look to go do something if you offer a suggestion please.

God bless!
    Jack

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917952

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice