1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

multiple problems not sure where to start

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by funnelspider, Feb 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. funnelspider

funnelspider Thread Starter

Hey there, problem started with system started shutting down and rebooting, then during reboot came back with error message "irq equal or less than" done alot of advice found here did the start up list, ran virus , trojan , hijackers scans etc.. problems increased more frequently and errors message more frequent including all of these: irq equal or less than, bad pool command, bad system configuration, unmountable pool volume, page default nonpage, etc... took all new hardware out and tried working with basics, problems increased. tried reformatting wouldn't allow, system restore shutdown and wouldn't work, did a registry program to see if that was the problem, worked okay for awhile, bought nortons quickclean worked okay for two hours, then all of sudden couldn't find the registry, i did try uploading windows xp home to windows xp pro but it then showed it had two os on it and would shutdown on which os would you want to start with. Please help!! I've left out a lot of the history and story, like all the new hdware i've added but any ideas?? also too mention my cpu temp is running on 150F, 90c so i added some more heatsink gel but nothing.... :mad:

2. funnelspider

ps.. forgot to add i'm currently finding info off our other system we have linked togethor, currently found the nimad virus on this one but cleaned up with no problem.

3. swwelsh

swwelsh

Have you gotten the cpu temp down? 90C is too hot, some of the symptoms of overheating are random shutdowns, strange error messages, etc., which sounds a lot like what you have. Bad memory can cause similar problems, you could try minimizing or swapping out memory. Try running with the case open and a window fan blowing at the machine, see if it gets more stable, if it does you need to increase the airflow in the machine or get a better cpu fan.

4. Jtoast

Jtoast

If that temp is accurate you are lucky you havent fried your cpu.

Adding MORE heatsink gel isnt an answer.....with that stuff less is better.

My suggestion is to get a bigger heatsink/fan combo and get your temps down to the low to mid 40's (celcius).

Until you have the heat problem resolved, there is no point fixing anything else.

5. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Be sure you have full contact between the CPU and heat-sink. In other words, be sure the heat-sink isn't slightly cocked to one side or in any way slightly uneven.

I agree with the previous post; if that temp is accurate, you need look no further. By the way, just because the machine still turns on doesn't mean you haven't already damaged the CPU.

6. funnelspider

Thanks, i will try those suggestions hopefully i haven't comp "fried" it, i did move the fan closer to the mbd last eve, but i will try the window fan and other suggestions, if i have done serious harm what part would i replace ie. mbd, or would i need to throw everything and start fresh??

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

90C is 194F, so you might try to find out what you're actually seeing. 150F is 65.5C, still too hot, but probably not going to immediately kill the processor.

8. funnelspider

Thanks again, doing the window fan on it and maintaining it at 30 to 35c, but still cannot get hdd to boot up immediatly swings back to blue screen with unmountable boot volume or ntldr not found ctrl alt del, so we are trying another hdd.

9. funnelspider

Thank you, Thank you, and thank you again, you guys are wonderful!! I enjoy you're website and help. Got the system up and running, just needed to cool it down!!! looks like no real harm done!!!!!!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118863

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice