1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multiple problems with Vaio laptop.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by TattooedMamaMeg, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TattooedMamaMeg

TattooedMamaMeg Thread Starter

I'm helping to fix a laptop and it needs some serious TLC. It's a Sony Vaio, running Windows Vista Home Premium. Upon starting the computer, I get an error that says The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction. The exe in question is C:\Windows\system32\Userinit.exe. I'm given the option to close or ignore, I close it and move on. Then I'm just stuck on a blue screen. I have to ctrl+alt+del to open task manager and manually run explorer.exe, it will not load on it's own. After getting to the desktop, none of the programs will run. You double click anything program on the desktop and it just sits there trying to run but it never actually loads the program. I have to run in Safe Mode just to get online and post this thread. This problem started slowly and has been getting worse, to the point where nothing works. I ran a quick scan with Malwarebytes and removed a few things, but it hasn't helped. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. TattooedMamaMeg

TattooedMamaMeg Thread Starter

I should also add that I ran sfc /scannow and it didn't seem to fix anything.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The best TLC for a PC with Vista is to upgrade to Windows 7. :D

Seriously, when a system gets that messed up, actually a lot sooner, I believe in a reinstall of Windows or a "recover to factory defaults" depending on the existence of an installation DVD, Recovery partition or Recovery DVDs/CDs.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085592

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice