Multiple problems

Taximan

This is my friends pc, my pc has the problems. A few days ago I wanted to upgrade my ram so I bought the ram from another friend (my pc is a Dell Inspiron 560 with 3GB of ram installed I wanted to add 2GB of extra ram, 1333-MHz DDR3 DIMM is what I added) It was tested and was compatible. Anyway all was fine shut the pc off went to turn it on the next day now it won't boot, there are 2beeps and a flashing amber light.My friend went on another forum and everything they told him I should do I did but nothing has changed. One thing they said I should do was remove the extra ram which I did but the pc did not revert back to before I installed the extra ram. Maybe ther's something I can still do to get my pc back. I realize I made a mistake so maybe you can give me some advice thanks.

managed

Allan
Hi and welcome to TSG,

Please post a link to the 'other forum' thread your friend started so we can see what you have tried already.

Can you get into the Bios by tapping the F2 key just after switching on ? Do you get anything at all on the Monitor ?

Taximan

Hi and welcome to TSG,

Please post a link to the 'other forum' thread your friend started so we can see what you have tried already.

Can you get into the Bios by tapping the F2 key just after switching on ? Do you get anything at all on the Monitor ?
Hi and welcome to TSG,

I've tried uninstalling the original ram and putting them back one at a time, I've tried unplugging the pc holding the start button for 20 secs replacing the battery plugging pc back in, replacing the battery alltogether. I can't get into bios because it won't boot. I forgot to mention it's a 64 bit. Thanks for the welcome. My friends forum is Bleeping Computer. If you want to check the post it's under 2beeps, flashing amber light (heading under Windows 10) I'll check back tomorrow I'm signing off now. Thanks(y)

Taximan

I've tried uninstalling the original ram and putting them back one at a time, I've tried unplugging the pc holding the start button for 20 secs replacing the battery plugging pc back in, replacing the battery alltogether. I can't get into bios because it won't boot. I forgot to mention it's a 64 bit. Thanks for the welcome. My friends forum is Bleeping Computer. If you want to check the post it's under 2beeps, flashing amber light (heading under Windows 10) I'll check back tomorrow I'm signing off now. Thanks(y)

managed

Allan
Ok I read that thread at 'bleeping'.

Using the Dell Inspiron 560 Service Manual here :- https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-uk/product-support/product/inspiron-560/docs
According to PP. 26&27 in the manual
With 1 ram stick fitted it should go into the socket nearest to the Cpu
With 2 matching sticks they should be in the 1st and 3rd sockets, counting away from the Cpu
With 3 sticks use 1,3 for matching sticks and 2 for other stick.
With 4 sticks use 1,3 for matching and 2,4 for other matching pair of sticks.

In theory all the sticks should have the same specification but if they do not they should run at the speed of the slowest stick(s).

So at first I suggest he tries each stick alone in socket 1 and see if it will boot with any of them.

Also ask your friend to make sure the ram stick(s) are pushed fully into the motherboard sockets, there are usually 2 clips at the ends of the socket which will snap in with an audible click when the stick is fully in, some sockets only have one clip though.

It may take some force to do it so tell him to be careful and make sure the cutout on the stick is in the correct position above the key in the slot before he presses the stick down with vertical pressure.

Taximan

It's completely dark. Yes that's the thread. Thanks for getting back.

Taximan

Yes I saw your longer posts but I had already completed those tasks and it's still not booting there are still 2 beeps and the amber light is still flashing. I should have mention this so my bad. And the monitor is still black.

managed

Allan
Ok, to get any further I think we will need a list of the parts in the computer, including the exact ram sticks, motherboard and Cpu.

Taximan

Since I was unable to get my pc fixed. I got a new one. My question is can I use my previous microsoft account on the new pc.(username,password)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online