1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

multiple reloads

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ubwalkin, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ubwalkin

ubwalkin Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I have a computer made from scratch. No preloaded anything on the harddrive. I first partitioned the HD and loaded windows 2000 prof. I then wanted to expand my partition and was told to reload windows, so I did. Well, I decided to rid myself of partitions and reloaded windows for the 3rd time. Now when I boot up, I have 4 windows OS to choose from. How can I get rid of the previous versions so I will only have one OS to choose from. Thank you for your help. Im pulling my hair out.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Boot with the win2k cd. Since you have four partitions, you will need to repeat this procedure three times. Choose install from the menu; choose to install to a partiton you already installed to. Now read the menu carefully; you will be given the option to delete the partition do so. Choose another partition to install to and delete the partition; repeat untill you have no partitions on the disk. It will show as raw / unformatted. Now you can create one or more partitions and format with ntfs.

I like to put the os in its own partition; use 5-10 gig for win2k. After you are done installing you can create extended / logical drives in disk management.

Install in this order.
    OS
    Install sp4
    Install chipset / mb drivers
    Install sound, nic, modem, raid, drivers
    Install video driver last.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168521

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice