1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multiple Router LAN Configuration

Discussion in 'Networking' started by whitneysj, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. whitneysj

whitneysj Thread Starter

I recently purchased and installed a Linksys RT31P2 wired router while converting to Vonage VoIP. I installed the RT31P2 behind an Actiontec GT-701 DSL Gateway (modem/router). I plugged a telephone into the RT31P2 and my VoIP phone service works great. Because my Actiontec GT-701 DSL Gateway only has 1ea Ethernet port, I had to remove my local computer from the Actiontec Ethernet port so that I could connect the RT31P2 to the same Ethernet port. After removing the local computer from the Ethernet port on the Actiontec GT-701, I moved it an open Ethernet port on the RT31P2. The local computer has Internet access and appears to work normally accept that it can no longer file or print share with the other computers on my home network. Prior to this change, I had 3ea wireless NIC-connected computers and the Ethernet-connected local computer configured onto my local network via the Actiontec GT-701 DSL Gateway. All of these computers were configured to file/print share and did so successfully. After the installation of the Linksys RT31P2 router, the local computer can no longer file/print share with the 3ea wireless NIC-connected computers. I have some basic networking knowledge and I understand that by adding the Linksys RT31P2, I have essentially created two networks. The problem appears to resolve around the fact that there two networks are currently not able to properly communicate in a manner that will allow file/print sharing between them. Is this problem solvable utilizing my existing equipment and configuration?

I contacted Linksys about the above mentioned problem. Linksys told me that my problem can be solved through the use of static routing. They suggest that I configure static routing on my first router (Actiontec GT-701). Linksys suggested that I contact Actiontec for the specifics. I went to Actiontec's web-site and found out that they charge $29.99 per technical support request. I'm hoping to solve my problem without having to pay this fee. I know how to access the setup/configuration menus of both my routers. I can see the static routing area but I'm not sure how to configure static routing to solve this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. steelie

steelie

what are the IP configs on the two networks? Since this problem is present only when the linksys is connected, it definetely sounds like thats the problem. otherwise, if you have two separate networks configured, you have to ensure the proper dhcp settings are configured for the two networks.

3. whitneysj

whitneysj Thread Starter

I have DHCP disabled on the Linksys Router and enabled on the Actiontec Router. The Linksys Router manual suggested that I only have one router with DHCP enabled. I disabled DHCP on the Linksys router and noticed no change.

4. steelie

steelie

i hate linksys. what is the ip address of the computer hard-lined to the linksys router? what is the ip addresses of the other three systems? with this info, you can tell if traffic from the linksys is restricted only to it's own network, and not passing through to the other network.

5. whitneysj

whitneysj Thread Starter

I'm at work right now. I'll post a reply that contains computer IP addresses tonight when I get home. Thanks for your help!

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Guess JohnWill hasn't seen this thread yet! You need to connect to the second router's LAN port; here is his complete, often used, instructions. Obviously, ignore the sentence on wireless for your case.

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

7. steelie

steelie

right... basically you need to make sure all of the hosts on the network are in the same subnet... check those ip's!

8. whitneysj

whitneysj Thread Starter

Should I change the 2nd (Linksys) Router local IP address or the Internet IP address. I have an option to change the Local IP address under the Network Setup configuration menu and I have an option to change to a static IP address under the Internet Connection Type configuration menu.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The LAN (local) address. You are going to NOT connect the WAN/Internet/Modem port, so the Internet Connection Type configuration is meaningless.

10. whitneysj

whitneysj Thread Starter

I changed the local IP address of the 2nd (Linksys) router to 192.168.0.254. I selected "save changes". It asked me I wanted to log into the router with the new IP address upon restart and I said yes. After restart, I typed 192.168.0.254 into my web browser and it tells me that the page is unavailable. I still have not connected the 2nd (Linksys) Router to the 1st (Actiontec) Router.

11. whitneysj

whitneysj Thread Starter

I power cycled both routers and now I can access the configuration menu of the 2nd (Linksys) Router using 192.168.0.254. The local computer that I have connected to one of the LAN ports on the 2nd Router (Linksys) has Internet access and was assigned an IP address via DHCP from the 1st (Actiontec) Router. Now another problem has surfaced. I have no dial-tone on my VoIP service. In addition, the Internet light is not illuminated on the 2nd (Linksys) Router. I'm not sure if this is because I am not connected to the WAN Port or not but the fact remains that I now have no VoIP. Please advise.

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Since you are using the router for VoIP, my "often used" instructions will not do the trick here. :) The router section of the Linksys must be active for the VoIP to function.

Configure the Actiontec GT-701 into bridge mode and configure the secondary router as you normally would on a standard broadband modem, here's the process:

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sorry, whitneysj. Obviously I'm not VoIP literate. :(

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have to catch you once in a while, just to keep my hand in! :D

15. whitneysj

whitneysj Thread Starter

I just ran an Ethernet Cable between an open LAN Port and the WAN Port on the back of the 2nd (Linksys) Router. The internet light immediately came on and I now have VoIP dial-tone. In addition, all computers (wireless NIC-connected and Ethernet connected) have Internet access and all computers are sharing files. My problem seems to be solved. Am I missing something or is my solution valid?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/464757

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice