1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multiple Router Setup

Discussion in 'Networking' started by out-there, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. out-there

out-there Thread Starter

I am sure somebody out there can help with this one.

I currently take care of a small office network, please note I'm self taught and still learning.

Currently:

20 computers
    Main Server
    Phone Server
    1 vpn router (BEFVP41 V2)
    2 wireless routers (Dlink DI-614+ and WRT54G)
    2 trendnet switches (TE100-S24 and TE-100 S16
    Other Misc Lan Printers and devices

Right now out VPN router is connected to our modem. The VPN router is then connected to the first switch which is connected to the other switch, the other 2 routers, and various computers.

We have various issues, including transfer speed, ability to see all computers on the network, etc etc. I assume the issues are in how I have the routers configured.

SO, here are my questions.

1) I no longer have a need for the wireless functionality of the 2 additional routers. Should they be replaced by switches?

2) If I keep the setup as is, how should the routers be configured, is there a good resource on the web to read about this?

3) "If someone has the time to answer this one I would be grateful." - If you were starting from scratch how would you configure this network, what hardware would you buy? Due to wiring limitations there are two areas of our building, where the additional wireless routers are now, that a router or switch or something must be used to service multiple computers.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE ME.

2. hermes

hermes

You can't see all the computers because routers break up broadcast domains. You need to either create separate subnets on each router and set up routing between them or make the WAP's into layer 2 bridges (if possible). If you do not require the wireless could you wire the other devices directly into it? If not hang a switch off of it.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Probably best to have as flat a network as possible--that is, don't have so many layers of switches. Modem to router to big switch is better than modem to router to switch to switch to switch to ... . In the meantime you can configure the additional routers as switches. You can find the instructions elsewhere, but probably no clearer than here.

JohnWill's procedure for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704995

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice