1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

multiple servers, same ports

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DiGiTY, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DiGiTY

DiGiTY Thread Starter

I have a number of machines sitting behind my WRT54GS (w/ latest stock/Linksys firmware) each running web, email, ftp, ssh, etc. servers. I know I can only set up one machine for Port Forwarding for those corresponding ports at a time. Is there a workaround so that I can get to all the machine's services even they all have the same ports?

TIA

2. jmwills

jmwills

Port Forwarding requires a specific internal static Ip Address so I don't really see any way around this. Maybe someone else has a thought.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

No can do. :)

The work-around is to use a domain provider or something like DynDNS to translate incoming ports to alternate ports for the additional servers. It's not going to happen at your router or later.

4. DiGiTY

DiGiTY Thread Starter

so my only option is something like this:

server 1 - 11080, 11022, 11021, 11025, 11143, etc.
    server 2 - 12080, 12022, 12021, 12025, 12143, etc.
    server 3 - 13080, 13022, 13021, 13025, 13143, etc.
    ...etc.?

and open those ports on the router and specific these ports in the appropriate clients/browsers?

5. jmwills

jmwills

Youcan not get aorund the fact that you only have one ISP provided IP Address. A Dynamic DNS Service can only translate one IP Address. This means that all traffic would have to be routed back to the same DNS name, no matter what.
    if you care care to share some more information as to what it is you are trying to do, there may be a better way to "skin this cat".

6. DiGiTY

DiGiTY Thread Starter

i'm throwing up a couple of machines to test and evaluate Zimbra, Scalix, Asterisk, Exchange 2007, OpenVPN, Funambol, Hamachi, Nagios, Splunk... i'm basically having an orgy and i need holes open.

what's wrong with the idea of boppin' to bigolfeast.com:11080 for getting server 1's web server and bigolfeast.com:13080 for server 3's web server?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595573

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice