1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multiple Switch Configuration Question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by WAstarita, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WAstarita

WAstarita Thread Starter

I'm sure my brain has the answer to this from when I got my network cert 10 years ago but I just can't seem to figure this one out.

When I cross connect the switches the link lights go crazy and I can't connect to the internet or the servers.

------------------------------------------------
    My configuration is the following

2 Poweredge 440sc's

48 port patch panel

3 Netgear 24 port 100/1000 switches (Then do NOT have a dedicated uplink port)

A Dlink 4 port 10/100/1000 router.
    -----------------------------------------------

Its wired like this (I'll try to keep it simple without pictures)

Switch 1

Servers, Phone System and 4 ports from the Patch Panel
    1 Connection to the Router

Switch 2

22 connections to the patch panel
    1 Interconnect to Switch 1

22 connections to the patch panel
    1 Interconnect to Switch 1

So in the configuration, technically each switch is interconnected twice, once through the interconnects going from 2 and 3 back to 1 and then each switch's connection to the router.

When I take the Interconnects out or the simultaneous connections to the router (one or the other), everything works fine.

Why is this happening? I would think more interconnections the better.

Secondary question:

Given it does't work, which way would work better, the interconnections to Switch 1 with 1 wire going to the router from Switch 1 or all interconnecting at the router (It is a retail, best buy router).

If the interconnects are the way to go, any reason, advantage/disadvantage not to just go 4 wires from switch one and fill up each port on the router (bandwidth increase, ect).

Thanks in advance

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

The reason the way you have it wired doesn't work is because you created the text book switch loop. Apparently your switches and router does not support spanning tree. Spanning tree allows multiple meshed links between switches without creating loops by determining best pathing to the root switch and putting the other links in blocking mode.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1052485