1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multiple switches

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Maegrace, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maegrace

Maegrace Thread Starter

Hi, wanted to put this out there to gt some secon opinions before we go in a tech meeting shortly. Firstly, I'm not a data technician so my apologies if I get anything wrong here or make it confusing in any way. We create energy control systems for commercial customers and have recently invented a control system to allow our guys to control one individual device at once over an addressable network, we're just in the process of deciding how to send messages to each individual device and struggling. I'm a spark by trade so the only thing I know much about is wiring, and that's we're the trouble lies, we have nine hundred Ethernet relays connecting to one computer; the relays are spread over three floors and simply recieve a small data packets telling them to turn on or off (so the data levels are pretty small throughout the network) but tech developers are saying that each device needs to be wired in cat5 back to the server. I wanted to develop a device that incorporated a small three port Ethernet switch so that we could daisy chain up tp 50 devices back to a larger switch and then back up to a network drive on the server. So we would end up with a 8 port switch on each floor then branches of 50 interconnecting devices, but I've been called an idiot!!!
    So my real question I suppose is "what's the simplest way to lay out this complex network?". How can I creat a network tree down to each device? Can I install a switch on each floor at a central location and then branch off a selection of smaller switches (maybe 10 x 26 port switches out on the floor, back to one switch per floor) and then each floor switch back to a server???

Tricky one I think

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Not sure if you've already got this problem solved. But to start off with any network design is to diagram the topology. Which means a logical diagram on how the devices will be wired/connected to each other. Many issues with network designs and troubleshooting can be attributed to a lack of network documentation.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085548

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice