1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

multiple symptoms, not sure what's going on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jepherz, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jepherz

jepherz Thread Starter

My POST screen takes a bit longer than it did before. I took apart my whole computer and put it back and the problem resolved for a short while then came back. At it's peak it can take up to 15-20 minutes to POST. Now its only a few seconds longer than it should be.

Sometimes when the computer is starting up and getting into windows the computer makes a lot of clicking noises (normal loading sounds maybe) and then randomly BSOD or restarts. This doesn't happen all the time and seems to happen only when I leave the computer idle during start up.

When getting into windows my GPU fan runs at max speed, sometimes I have to go into the afterburner program to turn it back down. This is when windows is starting up, not even playing games.

Windows will tell me my computer is slow/low performance warning. This can't be right cause I'm not doing anything stressful (just surfing on chrome).

Q9450
    6GB DDR2 ram (same brand pairs but different)
    HD 6970
    2 HDDs
    720W PSU

I've tried resetting CMOS, ran memtest on my RAM. Not sure how I can test my CPU or MOBO. I did try a new PSU but didn't get rid of the slightly longer POST issue. What could be causing these issues?

2. replay

replay

test your harddrive with the mfr diagnostic tests............will have to make the bootable disc from (western digital....or....)

have u cleaned out dust from the gpu fan??

also what is this 6GB DDR2 ram (same brand pairs but different)

3. jepherz

jepherz Thread Starter

The RAMS are both corsair but different:
    CM2X1024-6400C4DHX
    CM2X2048-6400C5
    I did check the timing before buying the other pair.

I'll run the diagnostic disk once it finishes.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Do you know what the ram voltage is now ?

The 1GB sticks need 1.9 volts and the 2GB sticks need 1.8 volts. I would go into the Bios and set the Ram voltage to 1.85 if available and see if that helps.

5. jepherz

jepherz Thread Starter

I think my RAM runs at 1.8725 volts, its set automatically on my gigabyte mobo, there's a proprietary setting that they have.

The hard drive passed the diagnostic without errors. So I guess it's either PSU, mobo, or CPU problems? could a GPU cause these kind of things to happen?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089352

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice