multiple user passwords

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AHASI

I want to allow someone else to use my computer once a week but I don't want him to have access to all of my programs or files. Is there a way to set up windows 98 profiles so that this person would only have access to those programs he needs and to lock him out of the other programs and files?

With an "untweaked" copy of Win'98 the answer is NO. But you can use secondary software to do this for you, I've seen some but can't remember name, one of the other guys on here will be able to help you with that....................

Good Luck

Hi,

The type of security that you need really isn't available on Windows 98. That's more of a Win NT or 2000 level. You could set up the profiles with a customized start menu and desktop, but if this person decided to navigate through the system with Windows Explorer, then they could find and access any of the programs or files. Your only other options are to possibly use System Policy Editor, (I've used it on Windows 95 machines, never 98) or, depending on the application, you could password-protect certain files (ie-Excel, Word, etc..). I can't really think of anything else, sorry. :(

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online