1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multiple users keying into one form.......

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by softspoken, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. softspoken

softspoken Thread Starter

I created a database and I split the database so that I could put links to the database on multiple users desktops so that they could all key information into a form to be able to save to a table.

I am getting an error when 2 or more people try to access the form at the same time.

What do I need to do so that up to 20 users can be keying in to one form at the same time via a linked version of the database?

(Access 2003)

2. OBP

OBP

What error are you getting?

3. softspoken

"The database engine could not lock table"Case Summary App Error' because it is already in use by another person or process"

4. softspoken

Its probably something simple that im doing wrong. I have the BE on a shared drive and I have the FE on my pc and anothers pc testing it and it still gives me that error message. What am I doing wrong ?

5. slurpee55

slurpee55

Generally, this is because there's a recordset being opened somewhere in your project which is not closed afterward. You might want to have some code that saves the table/recordset each time the form is filled. (I'm sure OBP can help you with this.)
    Also, just to be sure, does everyone have equal access to the back end table so they can save there?
    Finally, what error code do you get - the same words you wrote apply to a few different codes.

6. OBP

OBP

What "Locking" is selected in the Backend, look under Main Menu>Tools>Options>Advanced>Record locking?

7. softspoken

I found out what it was. When you said something about record locking it made me think about something I did in the forms properties. I locked the records there thinking it would prevent the other users from being able to scroll through all of the records previously keyed but it didnt work and I never went back to change that.

I changed it and now everything works fine. Thanks for everyones help.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916444

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice