1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Multiple Windows 7 licences and Networking

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by janlafata, Nov 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. janlafata

janlafata Thread Starter

I have Windows 7 Home Premium x64. I've always heard that you can run a Windows OS on only one computer, but does that apply to networked computers?. I just rebuilt a computer in the next room and installed a PCI-E wireless adapter on it, so it is part of my network on my main system, the one using W7 x64. So because it's networked can I run it on this new computer too? I imagine the answer is no, but I wanted to check. It's no big deal if I can't. I have W7 Home Premium x32 on there now, but I was hoping to put W7 Home Premium x64 on there also so I could use Easy Transfer to transfer files. I found out that Easy Transfer will not work going from x64 to 32.

On that note, is there another way I can share files between the two computers? I've been having a heck of a time figuring out how to do it (Networking is not my best thing!). I started out trying the Homegroups thing and a few other methods, nut nothing has worked. I wouldn't mind going the third-party software route as I have found quite a few good ones out there like ZInstall XP 7, but I'm not sure if it works from x64 to x32 or not?

That's enough tech talk for now. Thanks in advance for your help.

Jan LaFata

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    No - one PC one OS license
    otherwise - most companies would only need 1 license for all there 10,000s PC
    you may thinking of a thin client PC - loads of talk about those years ago

see if any of these articles help with the network transfer

SHARING
    windows 7
    ---------
    Use the Homegroup Feature in Windows 7 to Share Printers and Files
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-in-windows-7-with-homegroup/

Share and Stream Digital Media Between Windows 7 Machines On Your Home Network
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/9469...ween-windows-7-machines-on-your-home-network/

3. SoloTOandO

SoloTOandO

Make the computers members of the same workgroup. Share out whatever folders you want to be accessible on each computer and assign the level of permissions for those directories. You should be able to read, modify, and write to these directories. It helps to have user accounts on both systems.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028009

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice